LEATHERWOLF line-up confusion ala Queensryche

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
LEATHERWOLF SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT ABOUT CURRENT LINE-UP CONFUSION

Long-running California-based triple-axe threat Leatherwolf announced last week that an incarnation of the band featuring former guitarists Geoff Gayer and Carey Howe "are well in to the songwriting process of a long awaited LW studio album, " with Wade Black on vocals, Pat Guyton on bass and Dan Bruette on drums.

BraveWords has just received a statement from the "real" Leatherwolf members Dean Roberts and Michael Olivieri:

"We just wanted to set the record straight regarding a statement/press release that's been put out there announcing a new Leatherwolf studio album featuring former LW members Carey Howe, Geoff Gayer and Wade Black. Whatever Carey, Geoff and Wade are working on - it will NOT be released under the name Leatherwolf! The legal rights to the name Leatherwolf lie with the line-up featuring original band members Dean Roberts and Michael Olivieri that recently performed on the Monsters of Rock cruise and Keep It True festival in Germany.

It is unfortunate that Carey Howe, the main instigator in all this, is trying to wreak havoc and create the false impression that he, Geoff and Wade are back in Leatherwolf, which is not the case. He may have succeeded in hijacking the original Leatherwolf Facebook page and YouTube channel but he will not succeed in hijacking the name Leatherwolf as well.

We ask you to please only consult the official Leatherwolf website and Facebook page for any and all news regarding band activities."

Here's the other LEATHERWOLF's statement/press release alluded above:
LEATHERWOLF - NEW STUDIO ALBUM IN THE WORKS FEATURING WADE BLACK ON VOCALS; LATE FALL RELEASE EXPECTED

"Geoff Gayer and Carey Howe are well in to the songwriting process of a long awaited LW studio album. Surprisingly, the tracks are very up to date, heavy and in effect very modern sounding metal, I was only privy to three sizzling tracks, all of which where superb masterpieces of real metal, everything you would expect from two absolute guitar hero's. The tracks 'Restless Fate', 'The End', and 'Red, White & Black' were very well written, produced and arranged pre production versions.

Wade Black on vocals, Pat Guyton on bass, Dan Bruette (26 yr old pounder) on drums. More news to come in the near future for this expected late fall release."

Awwww Christ... not again!

In other news, Geoff Tate is finalizing plans on an epic fall tour. It is rumored to include the legendary group Leatherwolf.

It's a shame that these battles over the rights to a band's name continue to happen. That said, Olivieri and Roberts may have the rights to the name, but Gayer and Carey were the more prominent members of the band. Furthermore, the guitar duo are more likely to carry on making new music, unlike the other two guys, who seem to be content with resting on their laurels. Besides, Wade Black is ten times the singer that Michael Olivieri ever was. Even if the guitarists don't win the rights to the name, they should just release the new music under a different name and go out on the road playing a mix of this new material and Leatherwolf songs.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Ultimately these battles are tantamount to rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. None of these bands (Leatherwolf, Queensryche, etc.) have been relevant for decades and none have released anything that can stand anywhere near, much less alongside, their defining works. In the case of Leatherwolf, much like in the case of Queensryche, the identifying factor for me lies with vocals. Much like Tate is Queensryche, Olivieri is Leatherwolf. I would never pay to see either act without their original singer.

In the case of Leatherwolf, much like in the case of Queensryche, the identifying factor for me lies with vocals. Much like Tate is Queensryche, Olivieri is Leatherwolf. I would never pay to see either act without their original singer.

I'll happily pay to see Queensrÿche with La Torre in September... :devil:

It's not like Tate has sung like Tate for the last 2 decades anyway.
I'm not saying I would actually pay to see Tate (I definitely would not). I'm just not paying to see a band whose most distinctive asset is/was their singer, without said singer. Same goes for Leatherwolf. They can call it whatever they want and divvy up the naming rights eight ways to Sunday. Without Olivieri it aint Leatherwolf.

I'm not saying I would actually pay to see Tate (I definitely would not). I'm just not paying to see a band whose most distinctive asset is/was their singer, without said singer. Same goes for Leatherwolf. They can call it whatever they want and divvy up the naming rights eight ways to Sunday. Without Olivieri it aint Leatherwolf.

I agree 100% - without Oliveri it's not Leatherwolf. Oliveri way better singer than Wade Black.

I agree with you on Leatherwolf, but the new Queensryche lineup sounds fantastic live, and they play all the songs you actually want to hear. I'd happily pay to see them again.

LEATHERWOLF ANNOUNCE ADDITION OF JAG PANZER GUITARIST JOEY TAFOLLA; BAND CONFIRMED FOR HAIR METAL HEAVEN 2017

"...Southern California metal veterans, Leatherwolf, have announced the addition of guitar virtuoso Joey Tafolla of Jag Panzer fame to the lineup. Tafolla replaces Greg Erba, whose last show with the band was last summer at Germany’s Bang Your Head!! Festival; he joins original members Michael Olivieri and Dean Roberts, long-time bassist Patrick Guyton, and lead guitarist Rob Math (Lightning Strikes, Player)....
...A recently released pro-shot video of “Spiter” from the 2015 Keep It True festival appearance can viewed below..."