Led Zeppelin vs. Deep Purple

Which is your favourite?

• Total voters

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
Sorath says Deep Purple. I say Led Zeppelin. I was curious what the rest of you say, what with the recent trend of band vs band polls and all.

Come on, did Deep Purple have a song about vikings? Didn't think so.

Led Zeppelin.

Smoke on the Water pisses me off and my guitar students instead of practicing what I tell them too just play that, but alas it will soon be happening with Stairway to Heaven. >_<

But overall led zeppelin were better.

I like Deep Purple more than Led Zeppelin. Jon Lord's keyboards have one of the sweetest sounds ever, someone cant deny its charm.
Then again Led Zeppelin were more innovative and their sound evolution was greater.
But THEN AGAIN there is this eternal music masterpiece that is called Child In Time. So for the shake of "Child In Time" my vote is for Deep Purple. Gillan's screams totally make him win against mr Plant

Holy fuck I never thought I'd see Erik and Sorath discussing classic rock in a positive light. :loco:

Led Zeppelin all the way. Deep Purple was average at best. Smoke on the Water is quite possibly the WORST. SONG. EVAR.

Dread Zeppelin kicks ass!

Seems I need to hear Child in Time.

I should at least own 1 Deep Purple I suppose, Machine Head is the one I hear talked about the most, probably pick that one up eventually.

*hides* I haven't heard a terrible amount of Deep Purple, but what I have I didn't like very much. I'll pick up something though, just for posterity's sake. :p

I love them both, but I listen to Purple more. Plus Ian Gillen did Born Again with Sabbath, one of my faves.

ANd I LOVE the David Coverdale era of Purple. Stormbringer is one of the greatest rock records of all time. That era also brought us Glenn Hughes and Tommy Bolin.

And early Whitesnake is basically Purple...

Zeppelin are cool but Deep Purple are fucking awesome! Mk II & III is unsurpassed. I mean, everyone knows how awesome Mk II is, but Mk III is woefully overlooked. PJ is totally right, Stormbringer is one of the greatest albums ever. Takes you from headbanging to dancing your ass off to crying your eyes out. I love Glenn Hughes' vocal spots on Might Just Take Your Life and Love Don't Mean A Thing, the guy's got a great voice and is lush alongside David Coverdale. And we all know Coverdale is one of the best singers ever and is totally fit.

I am aghast that certain individuals haven't listened to Deep Purple before! :OMG: You're a disgrace to yourselves!

Demonspell said:
That said: Blackmore >>>>> Page
Wow. That's a bold statement, but definitely worthy. Blackmore was certainly more "metal" in his song structures, and Page was a bit more psychedelic. Blackmore also was a bit more versatlie beyond Purple, whereas Page just sucked the fat one on his side/solo projects.

Other than Blackmore, however, the rest of Deep Purple can't really compete with Plant, Bonham, and Jones so I'm going with Zeppelin.

(And personally, I think Coverdale was better in Whitesnake, so....)

JayKeeley said:
Wow. That's a bold statement, but definitely worthy. Blackmore was certainly more "metal" in his song structures, and Page was a bit more psychedelic. Blackmore also was a bit more versatlie beyond Purple, whereas Page just sucked the fat one on his side/solo projects.

Other than Blackmore, however, the rest of Deep Purple can't really compete with Plant, Bonham, and Jones so I'm going with Zeppelin.

(And personally, I think Coverdale was better in Whitesnake, so....)
Well, of course, it was his band, his vision, but I think his Purple is incredibly overlooked... those 3 albums, plus Made In Europe ep are absolutely amazing.