Let it Be Naked

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
You guys have heard about this right? It's the Let it Be album without the string sections and overdubs.

Yes, market ploys are calling for your $$, but I am curious to hear songs like "Long and Winding Road" without the orchestra. And it's not like it's just another re-release with an extra track - it's apparently redefining the album with how the band wanted it to sound before they split.

A second CD that comes along with it offers studio outtakes, with the band discussing certain song segments and how they can be improved upon etc. It's basically a 'fly on the wall' type recording that lets you into a studio session with The Beatles.

Thoughts?

AMG has a terminally long review on the album, I skimmed through it last night.

I thought the big Beatles special they had some years ago (now on DVD) was pretty cool, and it produced two "new" Beatles song and a great retrospective, but this Naked thing seems like a cash in. I don't know the whole history though, is this something the band wanted?

EDIT:
JayKeeley said:
it's apparently redefining the album with how the band wanted it to sound before they split.
Good job NAD, paying attention as usual... :rolleyes: :lol:

Yes, Paul and Ringo are very supportive of the release for what it's worth. I agree that it's a cash in, but it's not just a plain old remastered copy of the same album. There does seem to be some effort that's gone into this.

Point worth mentioning - there is also film footage from the recording sessions of the album. Some of it hasn't been seen for 20 years, some of it ended up on VHS, and some has just been locked up in a skanky cellar.

There are talks about releasing this footage on DVD format, but Paul and Ringo seem to be hesitant. Apparently, the complete compilation of the footage will basically depict the Beatles falling apart at the seams, just before calling it a day for good.

I've heard that these stripped down ("naked") versions of the songs have been found and restored only very recently, so to me it doesn't seem like a cash in. It even makes sense in an artistical way to re-release the album like that, since it was the way the band originally wanted it until Phil Spector came along :D
I might buy this, if only to complete my collection...

I'd forgotten about this...if I get around to buying a Beatles album I'd definately go for this version of Let It Be...probably worth making it my first purchase of theirs actually...