Let's review ... Atheist!

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
To mark our one week countdown, I will begin a review of Atheist as we prepare for the event in one week. (Reviewing for things is an occupational hazard, I guess!)

Piece of Time - Well, it's already better than a bunch of the other thrash / death metal out there at the time, but it pales in comparison to the next two. Some of the songs show the musical brilliance about to be unleashed on the world, but others are lacking. A few even have that Slayer style of guitar soloing - break into a song with frantic playing of lots of fast notes, but with no relationship to the rest of the song, and interchangable with all the other such solos on the album.

Unquestionable Presence - Their masterpiece. Every song is interesting, with mid bending musical arrangements. I only wish the vocals were better, but what are you gonna do?

Elements - Many of the songs are on par with the tracks on Unquestionable Presence, but there are a couple that don't live up to that standard. Plus, the small interlude pieces tend to break up the flow of the album. So, while it's still a monster of an album, with several great songs, I have to rate it below UP.

The winner is .. Unquestionable Presence!

Your opinions?

Ken

Never heard a note of this band.

I did FINALLY find a SATURNUS CD though, at Metal Haven.
It is an older EP, For Loveless Lonely Nights (I think that's what it is called at least)

I will admit that I had not heard Atheist prior to the announcement that they were going to play the fest. I should have and shame on me. A few weeks ago I went on a massive spending spree at The End Records which included all of the Atheist albums. I've gotten through "Unquestionable Presence" so far, which rules. I love all of the different influences going on on that album. I'm trying, TRYING...but some of my purchases are still in the plastic. Music overload. :erk:

^^ Who are you callin' kid, punky?! I'm constantly getting sidetracked by other things. Last night it was Symphony X, remember?! I'm gettin' there...in fact, Atheist is goin' on the player RIGHT NOW.

Get off my back, ok? :p

I agree with your commentary and rankings, Ken, although I like Piece of Time a lot as well. It does not have the widdly for the most part, but the music is still very enjoyable.

I don't mind the vocals, but you know me. The one thing I do mind is the production on Elements. I am by no means a production snob. Holy Terror - Terror and Submission is in my top 20 of all time. I know this is not very metal, but moments on Elements hurt my ears. The sound gets very high pitched and shrill in spots. Does not keep me from loving the album, but it is annoying.