Let's talk about guitar preamps

Rockchops

Jan 23, 2008
I've had my POD for 2 years now, and while I think I'm getting decent sounds, in the end, It never sounds like I would like to, It's great for some things, but it's not cuting it anymore.
I'm mainly looking at guitar preamps, I know a lot of people use the AxeFx, but I don't have enough money, and for that much I would prefer other things, I really dig some of the ampsims(soloC, 8505, etc.), but right now I'd prefer hardware stuff, however, I like the sound I'm getting from ampsims.
I don't know much about the preamps in the market, so far I've seen the engls, the ADA stuff(not my cup of tea really) and a couple more,
Any recommendations?

Highly recommend the e530 as well, sounds amazing for high gain stuff and does a very nice clean and crunch tone as well. Very powerful EQ section on it! The Mesa Triaxis is also amazing, but more expensive/complex than the e530.

another vote for the engl for th3 $$$ i think it´s a pretty good deal...check out the manual online also, but forget the freq compensated line out

What`s wrong with it ? Are the regular outs better ?
Our guitarist got one recently and we will record something soon. I thought about recording the mics and line out at once and then blending it...bad idea ?

yeah, triaxis is REALLY good if you got the cash, same thing goes for the higher end engl preamps, e570 or whatever it's called.

i'm not too fond of the e530, it's a bit on the vintage side as far as i'm concerned (vintage for me being like power metal etc, so go figure).

the marshall jmp-1 is also GREAT esp for the money, has that marshall sound and is really flexible.

other than that, sansamp psa-1 is a great alternative, as it's very flexible. it kills in a studio situation, esp for bass, but also for heavy guitars, and live you can run it straight to the PA, or just plug it into the fx return of whatever amp there's on stage, OR just take your own poweramp, OR a combination of both (small poweramp through cab for stage monitoring, direct to PA for FOH sound). it has a unique sound though, which is not for everyone, so be sure to check it out beforehand.

Thanks everyone, I definitely going to look at engl, does anyone have anything recorded with it? preferably with impulses and in a mix?

Our guitarist got one recently and we will record something soon. I thought about recording the mics and line out at once and then blending it...bad idea ?

i´d use the regulars becuase they are he direct out´s.
the other ones don´t sound good to my ears, they sound kinda mufled,dead.
try it yourself.
maybe blended the outcome paysoff!? i can´t say because i have tried doing that

ACK, a dude on here posted a comparison clip between direct out into impulse and the frequency-compensated out, and the latter seriously made it sound like some solid state crap, really really bad :ill:

ACK, a dude on here posted a comparison clip between direct out into impulse and the frequency-compensated out, and the latter seriously made it sound like some solid state crap, really really bad :ill:

thx mtastic, in my subconscious i knew that someone did that but i couldn´t remember at the time:)

i´d use the regulars becuase they are he direct out´s.
the other ones don´t sound good to my ears, they sound kinda mufled,dead.
try it yourself.
maybe blended the outcome paysoff!? i can´t say because i have tried doing that

ACK, a dude on here posted a comparison clip between direct out into impulse and the frequency-compensated out, and the latter seriously made it sound like some solid state crap, really really bad

Thanks guys, so the directs into LeCab are the way to go then. And I`ll have DIs as well , you never know.