Lights Out Review

dunno if the band is aware of all of em. and i havent checked t-all the reviews on mick's site so forgive me if you know em already ;)

It would appear that there are still a few jolly good moods out there for Antimatter to sully, as this duo has wasted no time in producing a follow-up to last year's morose Saviour. Although Lights Out features an inverted color scheme to its predecessor, Antimatter simply resumes right where they left off with their sparse emptycore. If anything, Lights Out is even less cuddly than Saviour, which may leave a few more listeners even less happy with the state of the universe today.

Stylistically, very few things have changed for Antimatter since their debut. Mick Moss and Duncan Patterson continue to weave threadbare songs that rely on empty spaces and the echoes to create the isolated, aching feeling of their music. Again, guest female vocalists provide much of the singing, with the occasional input from the two actual members. Antimatter's sound is still quite their own, although on "Everything You Know is Wrong", the band actually briefly resembles Anathema, Patterson's former outfit. Throughout Lights Out, the music seems to veer safely away from any easily consumable approaches and sticks to the dejection as a modus operendi. The flipside to this approach is that I've found over the course of quite a few listens that it's never very easy to immerse one's self into the album. "Expire" has me wishing the song would actually shove off after guest singer Michelle Richfield sings "Final solution" an infinite number of times. Other songs simply hover and stay slightly stagnant as this isn't the type of music that'll slap a listener around for attention.

While I enjoy Lights Out, the abject nature of the music means it's simply not for everyone. Those who enjoyed Saviour should definitely continue following the band's development, but expect to put a little more time into this one to extract the enjoyment (a word which I use with slight irony).
source : http://www.ssmt-reviews.com/db/searchrev.php?artistID=1322&showReview=true there is a review from saviour too

Antimatter's latest album entitled "Lights Out" is a mellow, dark and ambient album. The album emiited vibes of Pink Floyd crossed with a modern gothic sound. The music is mysterious and depressing, while at the same time remaining angelic.

The album is non-conventional in several ways. The vocals feature the duet of both a male and a female voice which contributes to both the atmosphere of the album, as well as emitting a full sounding vocal track. Dual vocals also added to the impact, or dynamic, of the music. It's often the little things, like a back-up vocal line, that help push albums to the next level.

The music itself often reminded me of mellow Agalloch...sort of a dark folk feel. With the intelligent use of keyboards and other instruments (wood block for instance), I found that they contributed significantly to the dark tone of the album. I'm not a big fan of the "sampled sound", which you would find in techno/trance music, but on this album it works well and compliments the more traditonal sounds of piano. I quess what I'm getting at is that the mix of traditional and modern intruments offers a certain "push-pull" vibe that I could appreciate...even though I'm pretty much a purist (relatively speaking) when it comes to instruments and music.

"Lights Out" is a respectable album that isn't metal, but emits the darkness often found in metal. In the right frame of mind, this album is an experience. This album would just about put me to sleep nine out of ten times, but that tenth time is pretty cool.

The production is as good as one can expect and everything is very precise and professional. In fact, it's one of the better sounding albums I've heard this year. If you dig the ambient folk/goth scene, then this is a solid buy.
http://www.metalreview.com/dissect.asp?ID=417

yeah, i already read those reviews. thanx anyway for postig them.

what i find interesting is from all the reviews i read, that there were two different ways of describing "Everything you know is wrong". One review compares it to Pink Floyd ( i think it says it's too Pink Floydish) and the first you posted Mariner, says it sounds like Anathema, hehe!. Funny innit?

That's because Pink Floyd and Anathema sound exactly the same like

wtf! im opening this thread and Pink Floyd is playing o_O
whatever. pigs. three different ones. wahey!

Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are
You well heeled big wheel, ha ha, charade you are

oh i do. ive quite some pink floyd now. i just want to find them at fair prices :cry:
still searching the wall, wish you were here & the final cut. (MUST HAVE EM - ones) dont need the first ones. (barett, he's weird) neither 2 latest ones *man*
at least my dad has em :D

Look for 'em at Ebay. you can get the wall there for only 15 € with bit of luck for less! I've even seen a vinyl of it!

I still need to get some albums of em, like you Mariner, but it always costs so much, even if it's on ebay, i can't buy all of their stuff.

And personally, i like quite some songs from Division Bell i must admit. I can't judge if David Gilmour's songs are not that good or whatever. I just like what i hear or not. Maybe that changes once I will know most of their stuff!

oh and good band you're listening to :hotjump:

you're right. but what duncan wants to say to is that it isnt nowhere near the stuff waters wrote, and that the lyrics are kinda worthless.

oh, and it was probably celestial season that was playing eh? ;)

Me and Danny were hammered in Dublin a few months ago and had the Waters/Gilmour discussion. I said anyone can make a decent sounding album with all those session players and co-writers/producers, ridiculous amount of money to spend etc.. Imagine Gilmour was on Peaceville Records and went under the name Dr. Ant? and he had 3 weeks in Academy to do his album? Do you think his sales would match The Division Bell then?

pink_floyd_dave_gilmour_GI.jpg

Dr. Ant

Strangelight said:
Me and Danny were hammered in Dublin a few months ago and had the Waters/Gilmour discussion. I said anyone can make a decent sounding album with all those session players and co-writers/producers, ridiculous amount of money to spend etc.. Imagine Gilmour was on Peaceville Records and went under the name Dr. Ant? and he had 3 weeks in Academy to do his album? Do you think his sales would match The Division Bell then?
all i can say is that i dunno much about his works, how many songs he wrote by himself, or how man session players he has (though i saw quite a lot on a video)! And i still don't know who wrote every Pink Floyd song, though i know Waters wrote The Wall nearly all himself, if not all, and it's a masterpiece.
All i can say is that i can only get information of their past from people which followed their work, but still need some time to get to know everything they've done. And as i said i like some songs off of The Devision Bell. High Hopes got me into them and therefore i respect it and even like the song.
So i welcome any piece of info from people who know them more then i do.

@Pieter: yes, i meant the Celestial Season song. A pity they broke up!