Little labs red eye question

BitchSlap

New Metal Member
Feb 7, 2006
Hey guys,
I have a question for those of you who are familiar with the little labs red eye unit :

I need a DI and reamp box for my studio. In DI situation, here's what I need : the guitar player is sitting in the control room. I need a DI to send the signal to the recording unit, but I also need to send the signal to the amp, located in the recording room. Will the unit feed my need ?

If cable is long enough then combined unit can be not as good option. Separate units DI and reamp-box may be the only option unless you can afford loss of quality with long unbalanced cables.

You don't need to run long lengths of unbalanced cable though, at least not for anything that's being recorded - cuz you can sit right next to the Red eye, run a 6 foot guitar cable into it, and then run a balanced mic cable into a preamp, so no problem there. And then for reamping, put the Red Eye literally on top of the amp, connect the two with like a 2 foot guitar cable, and then run as long an XLR as you need from the interface to the Red Eye.

And while you may have a little loss running the cable from the Red Eye's "thru" output, it wouldn't be any different than with a standalone DI box.

But if someone wants to sit near redeye in control room while listen to amp in another room?
I mean that long cable will be required from "thru" output to amp. If this is insignificant (no recording from amp) then everything will be good.

But if someone wants to sit near redeye in control room while listen to amp in another room?
I mean that long cable will be required from "thru" output to amp. If this is insignificant (no recording from amp) then everything will be good.

Actually, that was the bulk of my question. I'm kind of wondering how to do this : let's say there's guitar player next to me in the control room. A cable goes from his guitar to the red eye. There's a cable going from the red eye which goes to disk. But then, I need to run a cable to the control room where the amp is located. Which brings the problem of running a long cable (actually even 2 cables, as it's in 2 different rooms, and I have connections between the 2) from the "thru" output of the red eye located in the control room to the amp located in the recording room. That's my problem. Because of course, I may not use what the output of the amp, but I'm still recording it. And in the end, if I like it, that's what I'll keep. So there goes my problem.

The easiest would be to have the guitar player be in the recording room, but I'd really rather have him next to me.

In such circumstance directbox into mic pre (or instrumental input of pre or audio-interface) and standalone reamp-box will be good. Record signal from directbox/instument input and send line level signal to reamp box using balanced cables from pre/mixer/audio-interface. But if noise from long unbalanced cables is not so great issue then you can use thru output of red eye.

Yep - the point is that it wouldn't be any different using a dedicated active DI as opposed to the Red Eye. And actually, the easiest solution wouldn't be to have the guitarist in the live room but rather the amp head in the control room with a long speaker cable running to the cab in the live room.

Yep - the point is that it wouldn't be any different using a dedicated active DI as opposed to the Red Eye. And actually, the easiest solution wouldn't be to have the guitarist in the live room but rather the amp head in the control room with a long speaker cable running to the cab in the live room.

I was gonna suggest that as well... Keep the amp in the control room, that way you can tweak the amp controls based on what you are hearing through the monitors instead of the guitar cab, should make it a lot quicker to get the tone you're after...