Live Better, Work Union! Fuck You!

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
Last month two-thirds of my department petitioned to have our labor union decertified. The election is 4 days away and I'll be driving in on my day off to vote to put the ixnay on this band of brigands we've affectionately coined, "The Black Panthers." Filthy fucking negars are pushing to have our dues raised to the equivalent of 2 1/2 hours pay. That would be all fine and dandy if they offered any service whatsoever. Hell I'd settle for a "I'm a member of Union X and all I got was this lousy t-shirt." Alas, I'm stuck with my dick in my hand (for unrelated reasons), as this band of knuckle dragging laggards file grievance after grievance against their supervisors who simply want them to perform the menial tasks assigned to them. Heads on a stick, I say! There's 100 people total in my department and the primary shop steward who has a messianic complex in the vein of Malcolm X pulls the race card at every bend, turn, and banana leap, in which he can comfortably exert himself. Hell, we had one guy come in who challenged a couple of my co-workers to parking lot fisticuffs, and due to him being an overgrown milksop who was slurping at teat of Papa Silverback, the managerial staff's hands were tied. They had to bring in a lawyer just to cover their keisters to initiate a kibosh on said illiterate malcontent. Fucker looked like a stand in for Michael Clarke Duncan. Anyhow, my point is, Live Better, Work Union is an outdated slogan which holds no relevance in the 21st century. There's plenty of labor laws to protect the employee from a hazardous work environment or wrongful termination. No prepubescent is getting their knuckles grounded in a grimy factory. (Unless you're a negar, but what can a union do to protect a porch monkey against pavement?) Hell half of California's budget crisis stems from unions. It's quite common for a civil servant to make over 100k, retire at 45, then receive a pension of 80% of their high mark pay for the remainder of their years. This wouldn't be so damn bad if I could drive down the street without jarring my c4/c5 vertebrae whilst cruising over potholes.

More on this development later, I need to go get silky smooth.

Hostess, the makers of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread, is going out of business after striking workers failed to heed a Thursday deadline to return to work, the company said.

“We deeply regret the necessity of today’s decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike,” Hostess CEO Gregory F. Rayburn said in announcing that the firm had filed a motion with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to shutter its business. “Hostess Brands will move promptly to lay off most of its 18,500-member workforce and focus on selling its assets to the highest bidders.”

Hostess Brands Inc. had warned employees that it would file to unwind its business and sell off assets if plant operations didn't return to normal levels by 5 p.m. Thursday. In announcing its decision, Hostess said its wind down would mean the closure of 33 bakeries, 565 distribution centers, approximately 5,500 delivery routes and 570 bakery outlet stores in the United States.

The Irving, Texas-based company had already reached a contract agreement with its largest union, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. But thousands of members in its second-biggest union went on strike late last week after rejecting in September a contract offer that cut wages and benefits. Officials for the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union say the company stopped contributing to workers' pensions last year.

In an interview with Fox Business, CEO Gregory Rayburn said many workers had already crossed picket lines this week to go back to work despite warnings by union leadership that they'd be fined.

"The problem is we don't have enough crossing those lines to maintain normal production," said Rayburn, who first joined Hostess earlier this year as a restructuring expert.

Hostess said that production at about a dozen of the company's 33 plants had been seriously affected by the strike. Three plants were closed earlier this week.

The privately held company filed for Chapter 11 protection in January, its second trip through bankruptcy court in less than a decade. The company cited increasing pension and medical costs for employees as one of the drivers behind its latest filing. Hostess had argued that workers must make concessions for it to exit bankruptcy and improve its financial position.

The company, founded in 1930, was fighting battles beyond labor costs, however. Competition is increasing in the snack space and Americans are increasingly conscious about healthy eating. Hostess also makes Dolly Madison, Drake's and Nature's Pride snacks.

If the motion is granted, Hostess would begin closing operations as early as Tuesday.

"Most employees who lose their jobs should be eligible for government-provided unemployment benefits," Hostess said.

Fucking dumb shits.

Edit- Apparently the pay cut was a meager 8%.

Hostess employees were protesting in Maine recently, blocking traffic, burning barrels, etc. All to keep producing food that gutter rats wouldn't even eat.

Just saw on the incredibly biased Ed Schultz show that the CEO is getting 2.25 mil a year and as they are selling liquidity, 19 senior employees are getting paid 1.75 mil total...guess both sides suck.

Workers at some fast food restaurants in the New York City area walked off the job on Thursday.

A large group gathered outside a McDonald's on Madison and 40th St. in Manhattan demanding higher wages and the approval of a workers union.

"They're giving us $7.25 an hour, so many of my co-workers are living on food stamps. You can't live on that in this city," a protester told Good Day NY.

The workers who say they don't make enough to put food on the table for their families would like an increase in their hourly pay to $15.

Some franchise owners have said they'd have to hire fewer workers if the increase is approved.

According to The New York Times, McDonald's said in a statement that it values its employees and remains committed to them.

Union drives have been rare at fast food restaurants because turnover is high and few employees work full time.

Oy Vey

Workers at some fast food restaurants in the New York City area walked off the job on Thursday.

A large group gathered outside a McDonald's on Madison and 40th St. in Manhattan demanding higher wages and the approval of a workers union.

"They're giving us $7.25 an hour, so many of my co-workers are living on food stamps. You can't live on that in this city," a protester told Good Day NY.

The workers who say they don't make enough to put food on the table for their families would like an increase in their hourly pay to $15.

Some franchise owners have said they'd have to hire fewer workers if the increase is approved.

According to The New York Times, McDonald's said in a statement that it values its employees and remains committed to them.

Union drives have been rare at fast food restaurants because turnover is high and few employees work full time.

Oy Vey

???????????????????????

My brain.

I did that exact same thing a few times...

...back in high school, after all my classes were over.