circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Living Sacrifice – In Memoriam
Solid State Records – TND96289 – March 29th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

living195.jpg

Unfortunately, Living Sacrifice – one of the pioneers of Christian metal – amicably parted ways in 2003, and In Memoriam is a greatest-hits album that pays tribute to them posthumously. If you’re a completist, like I tend to be, then this purchase will be a no-brainer. But, if you have no problem collecting albums to and fro then In Memoriam may prove to be unnecessary.

The layout is fairly standard. The record offers two tracks from every release – 1991’s Living Sacrifice, 1992’s Nonexistent, 1994’s Inhabit, 1997’s Reborn, 2000’s The Hammering Process, and 2002’s Conceived in Fire – which keeps it short and relatively straightforward. The early works of the band, namely their first three albums, were exercises in thrash/death, while their last three outputs could realistically be classified as pre-metalcore. As a bonus, though, the nucleus of the group (Bruce Fitzhugh, Rocky Gray, and Lance Garvin) got together and recorded three new songs that are in the same vein as that of Conceived in Fire – “In Christ,” “The Power of God,” and “Killers” are all worthwhile listens, and it’s refreshing to hear new material from a group that’s been defunct for a handful of years. The packaging is disappointing, because it’s essentially bare-bones: pictures of each album’s line-up have been interspersed with information about the songs. We, as consumers, don’t get the lyrics or anything that has the ability to “wow.” I’m also conflicted about the CD’s length. It is an hour long, but I can’t decide if that’s fitting; I mean, there’s about twenty minutes worth of free space, and the group did excavate six, full-length endeavors in the span of their career.

Ever since I heard Reborn, I’ve been partial to the Arkansas-based quintet, and I was chagrined to see them leave the metal fold. Still, In Memoriam is a decent introduction to the band – if you’ve never heard them before – and a good retrospective look at their influential past. Living Sacrifice will be both remembered and missed.

8/10

Official Living Sacrifice Website
Official Solid State Records Website

I only have the Nonexistent CD, so this sounds like a great way for new fans to get into Living Sacrifice and hear a bit of all era's without having to sink major coin into 6 full lengths. I don't think 15 songs on a best of release is too short, though you're right that they might as well have used all the available time on a CD. This disc will definitely go on my to buy list.