Lizzy Borden – Appointment With Death

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Lizzy Borden – Appointment With Death
Metal Blade – 3984-14641-2 – October 2, 2007
By Ryan Starr

41YpY%2BRHLlL._AA240_.jpg

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say this is a new band breaking into the scene. Lizzy Borden certainly don’t sound stuck in the 80’s, and that could be credited to new guitarist Ira Black and the plethora of guest musicians on the album. George Lynch, Corey Beaulieu, and even Eric Rutan make appointments with Lizzy Borden, adding some needed life to an aging 80’s metal icon. And speaking of Eric Rutan, he’s done a fantastic job mixing this record. His name keeps coming up in the studio credits of major metal releases, and it’s really no surprise. His work is top notch; I just wish he’d get out from behind the mixing board and record more Hate Eternal music.

A couple years ago I saw Lizzy Borden play a small venue in Santa Cruz called Palookaville. They were just starting their comeback to the metal world. I was there to see my favorite local band Psypheria, whose blend of symphonic death metal reminds me a lot of Nocturnus. Talk about a mismatch! The show was almost set up for failure, and then went down hill from there. Lizzy Borden’s performance just reeked of desperation. Aging rockers trying to pay the bills. But I can say without a shadow of a doubt that isn’t the case anymore. While they will always play the old classics, they have found new life in music. And while they probably won’t be playing stadiums any time soon, I think it’s safe to say we can expect quality work over the next few years.

Official Lizzy Borden Website
Official Metal Blade Website