local news teams gear up for THE KALIFORNIA KATRINA: FIRE WATCH 3000.

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
yeah it smelled like smoke when i walked outside this morning, happens every year. i can't feel bad for people that live in the mountains though, i mean it's a risk you take by doing such things. well, i feel bad for the po' folk that get fucked, but generally this stuff fucks over richers and well, who cares? :dopey:

Wind-Fueled Fire Threatens S. Calif. Homes

By PAUL CHAVEZ, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 56 minutes ago

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050929/ap_on_re_us/socal_wildfires

LOS ANGELES - A wind-whipped brush fire quickly tripled in size early Thursday to more than 9,300 acres, destroying at least one home and prompting evacuations as a ridge of flames was visible for miles.

The blaze burned to the edge of a number of multimillion-dollar homes that abut rural, picturesque hillsides in the San Fernando Valley. Homes in several communities in Los Angeles and Ventura counties were evacuated, but officials did not release an exact number.

"Our house is still OK, but oh, God, it's not a good feeling," said Phil Goldenberg, 53, who was at an evacuation shelter at Canoga Park High School with his wife and son.

Late Wednesday night, bright red flames 10 to 15 feet high stretched several miles across much of the western edge of the valley.

"It's pretty hard to deal with when it's dry brush and dry fuel. There's not a lot you can do to stop it," said Paul Shakstad of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

Fire officials confirmed that one home had been destroyed, although two structures that appeared to be homes could be seen burning in a news broadcast.

Past wildfires fanned by Santa Ana winds have roared south to Malibu, the celebrity-packed community about 10 miles away, and that's one of the biggest fears firefighters have with this blaze, Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Mark Savage said.

Authorities planned an all-out assault against the fire at daybreak using water dropping helicopters and tanker planes, he said. No evacuations were reported at Malibu.

More than 700 firefighters were on the scene, fire spokesman Ron Haralson said earlier. One firefighter was struck on the head by a 40-pound boulder and was taken to a hospital, officials said.

The fire was only 5 percent contained early Thursday, authorities said.

A blaze in Riverside County, meanwhile, spread over 1,330 acres between the cities of Redlands and Moreno Valley, about 70 miles east of Los Angeles. That fire destroyed three chicken coops at a ranch believed to have housed 70,000 to 90,000 chickens.

So far this year, wildfires have charred 8.16 million acres nationwide, compared with 7.74 million acres at the same time last year, according to the National Interagency Fire Center.

well, i feel bad for the po' folk that get fucked, but generally this stuff fucks over richers and well, who cares?

Exactly. As long as it's not like '93 with huge chunks of ash falling out of the sky into my eyes, I don't care. And bright red skies at night are awesome.

Mormagil said:
Exactly. As long as it's not like '93 with huge chunks of ash falling out of the sky into my eyes, I don't care.
that was like last year out here. it got pretty scary a few times honestly, the skies were black for like 3 days and it wasn't pleasant to breath.

by scary i mean :kickass: by the way. :loco: