Lolzgreg's Tube Description and Recommendation Thread

Interesting read, thanks for this lolzgreg!

I always find my Peavey 5150 sounding too dark and having not that much gain on the rhythm channel compared to amps i played in musicshops. So i thought changing tubes might help. Actually all the preamp tubes are "Sovtek 12AX7 / ECC83 WA". After having a look at this TubeTown Tubemap i feel confirmed about my Sovtek WA's. I would try the "JJ 12AX7 / ECC83S" and maybe the "TT E83CC / 12AX7 V1" in v1 ..but when i read about JJ then it is said they were the darkest sounding tubes i could get...isn't that conflicting with this tubemap?

What tubeshops exist in germany beside Tubetown? Where could i get these "chinese" aka. Shugaung?

What i take from this thread and some others is Phase Inverter -> Sovtek 12AX7 / ECC83 LPS and what would be good for the FX-Loop? Something with less gain like JJ 12AT7 or TT 12AT7 ?

Interesting read, thanks for this lolzgreg!

I always find my Peavey 5150 sounding too dark and having not that much gain on the rhythm channel compared to amps i played in musicshops. So i thought changing tubes might help. Actually all the preamp tubes are "Sovtek 12AX7 / ECC83 WA". After having a look at this TubeTown Tubemap i feel confirmed about my Sovtek WA's. I would try the "JJ 12AX7 / ECC83S" and maybe the "TT E83CC / 12AX7 V1" in v1 ..but when i read about JJ then it is said they were the darkest sounding tubes i could get...isn't that conflicting with this tubemap?

What tubeshops exist in germany beside Tubetown? Where could i get these "chinese" aka. Shugaung?

What i take from this thread and some others is Phase Inverter -> Sovtek 12AX7 / ECC83 LPS and what would be good for the FX-Loop? Something with less gain like JJ 12AT7 or TT 12AT7 ?

No problem :)

I would stick with a Chinese 9th Gen (Shuguang) in the FX loop. You want to make sure you're not losing any signal there.

Also, a hot phase inverter works in some amps and not in others. the Sovtek LPS tubes are generally pretty smoky. In a 5150, they work. I used to have all LPS in my 5150, but I like the JJs better.

I don't know if JJs are actually DARK; however, they definitely aren't as strident.

Bump for a great thread. Greg and Lasse have never led me astray with their tube and tone wisdom.

Cheers \m/

Thought I'd rather bump this thread rather than making a new one.

What is it that you like about the Sovtek LPS as a phase inverter? How does it sound compared to others in that position?

Also, any recommendations for a Krank Rev Jr.?

:)