Lombardo for $750 a show...

I don't understand the outrage at $750/show when most rock and metal bands out there who have been slugging away for 5+ more years on tour are still barely able to put gas in the tank and food in their mouths.

Does he deserve more? Dunno, I think all working musicians deserve a living wage (of course $3000+ a week while on tour definitely isn't poverty....).

Is Slayer (as a business) run like shit? Apparently it is for everyone but King.

All I see from this on Facebook is "he's a rock star, he should be a millionaire." Fine, sure, whatever, but that seems like a horribly ignorant stance to take when looking at the industry, and touring, as a whole.

lol

I simply can't understand that someone living off beating drums live has ANY complain about earning $750 a show. Probably that won't buy him a Ferrari but that's more than what most of us do with our day jobs PLUS music together. Hell, that's more than the minimum MONTHLY wage here. All he does is beat drums with sticks in concerts. Still complains... lol

From my reading of the article and others regarding the initial split, I dont think his problem was the amount of money he was personally making but the amount of money making it to the band in relation to what it was pulling in as a whole per show.

I completely identify with you guys saying that many talented people will never make that kind of loot nightly for comparable work but we are talking about Dave Lombardo and Slayer. I mean, they did sort of invent an entire subgenre of metal have been touring nonstop for 30 years and they didnt invent the pay scale of bands that operate on their level. Also Dave more or less popularized that style of drumming, I like Bostaph better as a drummer but it doesnt change the fact that he stands on the shoulders of Daves invention. Sure alot of people work hard or make better music but I suspect Metallica and other arena filling groups with huge touring orginizations have a better system of dispersing wealth and running shit.

lol

I simply can't understand that someone living off beating drums live has ANY complain about earning $750 a show. Probably that won't buy him a Ferrari but that's more than what most of us do with our day jobs PLUS music together. Hell, that's more than the minimum MONTHLY wage here. All he does is beat drums with sticks in concerts. Still complains... lol
As a drummer and bass player. drummers are the hardest working members of metal bands. Dave should have been making as much if not more than the others for live shows. if what he was getting paid including writing and album sales and he wasn't a major writer in the band. then I see him making less.

From my reading of the article and others regarding the initial split, I dont think his problem was the amount of money he was personally making but the amount of money making it to the band in relation to what it was pulling in as a whole per show.

This. If Slayer makes a $50k guarantee are you guys really saying that 1/4 of the band only deserves 1.5% of the take? Obviously there are expenses in play but either the band's overhead is far too high or he's getting screwed.

He isn't blameless as ultimately it's his responsibility to take care of his own business, but saying he doesn't deserve a bigger cut b/c other bands aren't profitable is completely missing the point.

I don't understand the outrage at $750/show when most rock and metal bands out there who have been slugging away for 5+ more years on tour are still barely able to put gas in the tank and food in their mouths.

Does he deserve more? Dunno, I think all working musicians deserve a living wage (of course $3000+ a week while on tour definitely isn't poverty....).

Is Slayer (as a business) run like shit? Apparently it is for everyone but King.

All I see from this on Facebook is "he's a rock star, he should be a millionaire." Fine, sure, whatever, but that seems like a horribly ignorant stance to take when looking at the industry, and touring, as a whole.

Isn't it ironic
It is consumers who want musicians to be millionaire rock-stars 'like in the 80's'..

..while downloading everything they do for free :lol:

lol

Im kinda sick of that argument. You should see a major band for what it is, basically a company.

If you ran an company and you could only take out less then 10% of your annual revenue wouldn't you think that sucked? I certainly would...

Im kinda sick of that argument. You should see a major band for what it is, basically a company.

If you ran an company and you could only take out less then 10% of your annual revenue wouldn't you think that sucked? I certainly would...

Depends on if he backed himself into that corner via contract.

I honestly think it sucks. Like some said, at the end of the day he made 4500 dollars or something a month. I know people who make wayyyyy more than that selling corporate printers.

I don't think he is complaining about his salary per say, but by the fact he feels fucked in the ass.

What would be interesting to know, is how many people are employed in the slayer "company", to see where all the money and expenses goes.

That's because it's not a company.

It's a band, a very successful band, which gets a little cut from a big pie. The company is their label that hold 90% of their revenue. But probably their label is actually spending most of it back in band expenses, so to me, asking for more it's just greed from the drummer.

This guy is complaining about not getting the same cut as the other dudes in the band, while probably in their contracts they already decided that and agreed to it.

Anyways I couldn't care less if I wanted, he's making more than enough so I won't be worried about him. Ever. :lol:

That's because it's not a company. It's a band, a very successful band, which gets a little cut from a big pie. The company is their label that hold 90% of their revenue. But probably their label is actually spending most of it back in band expenses, so to me, asking for more it's just greed from the drummer. :lol:
Reading this I feel like you don't have a great understanding of how the music business works. Label involvement in touring is minimal unless they're providing buy-ons or tour support. Even then they aren't collecting the money or taking a cut unless you're the rare band with a 360 deal. Slayer is absolutely a business like every other band with income.

Reading this I feel like you don't have a great understanding of how the music business works. Label involvement in touring is minimal unless they're providing buy-ons or tour support. Even then they aren't collecting the money or taking a cut unless you're the rare band with a 360 deal. Slayer is absolutely a business like every other band with income.

Let's just be clear, 360's are not "rare" these days.

Are you dealing with a lot of bands with 360's? All of the bands I know have traditionally structured deals.

Anyway it's irrelevant. Maybe he negotiated poorly. Maybe they are the worst businessmen of all time. The bottom line is that one of the guys on stage is making 1.5% of the gross total payment made to the band. The average booking agent gets 10% for comparison.

Are you dealing with a lot of bands with 360's? All of the bands I know have traditionally structured deals.

The vast majority of the newer rock/hard rock bands that I either know or work with have 360's. A traditionally structured deal seems to be the exception to the rule from what I'm seeing.