Long headphone cables??

selke61

Music Producing Ginger
Jan 25, 2011
Okay, so I just started using a separate room for vocals and I got the mic for talk back and a long enough XLR cable, but my stupid ass forgot to purchase long enough headphones. I have some great Sennheiser headphones I use for vocalists when they recorded in the control room, but they are only like 8 feet long. I don't want to have to buy new ones, for now at least, so is there something I could buy off of Musicians Friends that extends the cord, let's say, 30-40 feet, just to be safe? I looked around, and couldn't find anything and for the life of me, I don't even know what they would be called.

I extended my headphone cable with a regular loooong (6,2"plug) stereo cable using and adapter wich allows me to turn the male head of the cable into a female head. Ofcourse I had to use even another adapter to make the new 6,5" female head into a 3,2" female head. But this works perfectly. Just make sure you have a stereo cable.

EDIT: And I feel that this should be in the off-topic section.

I have a couple of TRS XLR adapters, so I can connect the headphone output to the stagebox or an xlr cable. So if you need it longer you just throw another xlr into it.

signal loss; for one.

also, it's more convenient for the talent to control the headphone volume on their own.

most professional recording studios use them... i am now confused as to why you are confused. ;)

I have like 4 20ft extensions for 1/8" that I got at radio shack for like $5.00 each. Good for a cheap temporary fix

I'm confused about why people are suggesting headphone amps and XLR's when you could just buy something like this and plug into your interface: http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=VJv_TdnkGqHN0AHQlqG0Bg&ved=0CKoBEPMCMAk

Or am I just ignorant and would this work/yield bad results...?

this is exactly what i had in mind. if the signal is a little lost, but the vocalist can still do it, im totally content with it. id imagine it would make them appreciate it more when they come back into the control room ;]