Look what I saw in my neighborhood?

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Rob / Chris,
You never told us about this venue change???
powerfest-2.jpg

Ok, more than two words...
Epica, Leaves Eyes, Angra, Freedom Call, Heavenly, etc, etc....

Power Quest at least know how to properly use keyboards.

I have heard all of those bands.
Granted, I will admit I have not heard a full album from a lot on that list, but enough to know they are all nice and flowery!

I wouldnt call Epica flowery, nor Leaves Eyes.

it is funny with you saying they are flowery when you are a HUGE
Manowar fan and a Rhapsody fan. I had to talk you out of wearing
leather pants to last years Powerfest.

I wouldnt call Epica flowery, nor Leaves Eyes.

it is funny with you saying they are flowery when you are a HUGE
Manowar fan and a Rhapsody fan. I had to talk you out of wearing
leather pants to last years Powerfest.

Yeah, but I still had my leather loin cloth underneath my jeans!!!
If you don't watch it, I might wear it OVER my jeans this year.

Manowar are NOT flowery at all. Not sure how someone who is so into power metal could even remotely say that.

I never said I dislike flower metal. I just called you flower metal boy.
Sonata Arctica are probably one of my top ten fav current active bands today.

Uh...no more Lamb for me...never really been into Shadows much...although Mudvayne will always rawk as long as the bass player & drummer never leave!! :kickass:

Hey, it's all good.
Like whatever the f*ck ya like!

Only reason I brought up Lamb of God was because at JJ Kelley's a couple summers back, you had this conversation with me and Ken:
(Assume drunk-Rob voice):
"Man, Lamb of God are the masters of the riff!!! Like, total Slayer-type of riffs man. I love a good riff"

(Jason and Ken - a little confused, and not as drunk):
"Ummm....ok"

:lol:

Hey, it's all good.
Like whatever the f*ck ya like!

Only reason I brought up Lamb of God was because at JJ Kelley's a couple summers back, you had this conversation with me and Ken:
(Assume drunk-Rob voice):
"Man, Lamb of God are the masters of the riff!!! Like, total Slayer-type of riffs man. I love a good riff"

(Jason and Ken - a little confused, and not as drunk):
"Ummm....ok"

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I get bored quicker now that I'm older. :p

I did love LoG at that time we talked, and I really did love their riffs back then...but 2 albums later (with more of the same riffs), and I'm not as impressed anymore. ;)

Although, let me clarify...I'm sure I said that Slayer are the masters of the riff, and LoG was like the new Slayer since Slayer's been pretty boring since Seasons... However, nice to hear though that Slayer is back and more true to form with their new album. :kickass:

I scored free tix to the Unholy Alliance tour this summer.
Slayer are still great live. Nothing more to really say about that.
I haven't kept up with their last few releases, and really only know the songs they perform live (Like "Disciple")

Anyhow, the reason I even bring this up, is because Lamb of God were on the bill. This was my first exposure to them. Man, I was NOT impressed. This really isn't my cup of tea, but I was curious as they are very popular. It just sounded like noise (Though the Aragon Ballroom is definitely not the place to probably check out a band for the first time and walk away impressed)

I scored free tix to the Unholy Alliance tour this summer.
Slayer are still great live. Nothing more to really say about that.
I haven't kept up with their last few releases, and really only know the songs they perform live (Like "Disciple")

Anyhow, the reason I even bring this up, is because Lamb of God were on the bill. This was my first exposure to them. Man, I was NOT impressed. This really isn't my cup of tea, but I was curious as they are very popular. It just sounded like noise (Though the Aragon Ballroom is definitely not the place to probably check out a band for the first time and walk away impressed)

No matter what album they're on, Slayer ALWAYS slays live!! :kickass: :headbang: :kickass:

And I agree that LoG does sound like just a wall of noise live...but I also blame their sound guy for that. A band like LoG would sound better at a lower volume live.

I remember seeing Meshuggah with Tool at the Allstate Arena (former Rosemont Horizon), and I couldn't believe my ears!! The best sound guy I've ever heard in an arena-sized venue in my whole life! He turned Mesh down to the perfect level that you could hear EVERY note...even as chaotic as their music is, you can still hear everything. It was even low enough to where I didn't even have to wear my earplugs at about 50 yards from the stage...and I'm pretty obsessive about always wearing earplugs at shows & band practice. Then when Tool came on, they were turned up just a tad louder than Mesh (since they're not as chaotic & partially that they were the headliners too I'm sure), and that was just as perfect.

Anyway...I digress...to really appreciate LoG's goodness, you really need to hear them on CD...I recommend "As Palaces Burn" if you like the warmer & huge-sounding approach that's common with Devin Townsend productions. Otherwise, go with "Ashes of the Wake"...killer riffage as well but with a more mainstream crisp production. I personally prefer the warm & huge-sounding approach of APB.

Snoochie Boochie...

What's with the censorship in UM lately... I had no idea what Rob was talking about with the "***m & huge-sounding approach" comments. Then I realised that UM is censoring the letters "w a r" and replacing them with asterisks. WTF?

The only reason that I figured it out was that I tried to make a post in my own forum that we were nominated for an "a w a r d" and it kept changing it to "A***d".

Lame.