Looking for the name of a Metal Documentary I saw about 6 years ago

lorin

Head Banger for life!
Jul 15, 2020
Hi,

thank you for reading my post.

I saw a heavy metal documentary I think it was on VH1 or MTV- I cant remember.
It was the most amazing metal doc I ever saw.

It went into a lot of detail explaining the history of metal and all of the sub genres like power metal, thrash metal, death metal....

There was an animation of a Heavy Metal family tree sort of graph that showed all the sub genres.

I also remember when they were discussing one of the sub genres- they talked a lot about Rush and Geddy Lee. They went on to say that he is a complete innovator and ridiculously smart.
Different metal bands were interviewed throughout the entire doc. And Sebastion Bach was interviewed about Geddy Lee. He said he was like the Math Rock genius or something like that.

Also when they were discussing Power Metal- they featured Rob Halford and his singing background..

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THE NAME OF THE DOC IS.

THANK YOU!

This particular Halford interview?

If yes, the documentary is probably Sam Dunn's Metal Evolution, which they eventually did one long episode just for extreme metal.

Reactions: lorin
HI! thank you so much for going to the time and trouble of responding and posting links.
I just watched the doc. It unfortunately, is not the one I saw years ago but also had a really cool metal family tree.

The one i saw had this Sebastian bach interview talking about Geddy Lee.

VH1's Heavy: The Story of Metal has Sebastian Bach first on the list of people who appear, so maybe that one.
Hi, thank you for replying to my post. I am currently watching the doc and it isnt this one either.

What was notable about the documentary was that it was structured around a heavy metal family tree and they did these really cool animations of the metal family tree at each segue.

thanks again
L