Looking to buy a good, CHEAP recording interface card for home recording

Jul 29, 2003
Denver, CO
www.anotheraccident.com
I have been kind of dabbling in home recording for about a year now, but I want to get a little bit more serious about it.. since I am now starting college for music production.

Basically, what I want to ask is, what is a good, CHEAP (sub-200 dollars USD) recording interface card. I own a copy of Sonar, and it has been great, but the sound quality of using a cheap mic + my soundblaster card isn't exactly great, heh.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated :)

Edit: Hey, maybe I should actually read the forum first before posting -> http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47192 :ill:

Terratec makes some excellent ones for relatively low prices. I dont know what your needs in terms of recording are, but the EWX 24/96 is great and cheap.

You should very much check out the m-Audio Audiophile 2496 and/or Delta 410. I've heard nothing but good things about them and am considering picking up the Audiophile soon myself.

Remember that you're mainly limited by the weakest link. If you have a cheap mic and a Soundblaster I'm guessing your microphone should be the first thing to get replaced, not the card. I seriously doubt that the Soundblaster introduces more noise into the signal than a cheap mic would.

Well, from personal experience, I would recommend Aardvark products. I use the DirectPro Q10 model. It has 8 xlr/quarter-inch inputs, and more outputs than I'll ever need. I haven't ever used Echo products, but from speaking with guys that do home recording, it seems that their sound quality is inferior to that of the Aardvark systems. I know you said $200... but if your aim is to record an entire band eventually, you won't get nearly enough inputs for that price. I paid $800 for my setup. Note that it includes 8 mic preamps, so you don't have to go out and buy them yourself. Anyway, I know Aardvark makes cheaper units, they just use all 1/4" inputs instead of xlr. If you can deal w/ using adapters, I think that setup would be the best bet for the money. For general miking use (vox, guitar, drums) I use a shure sm57. It seems to be the standard for people who want quality but don't have lots of cash. Hope that helps.

TheDarkProject said:
Remember that you're mainly limited by the weakest link. If you have a cheap mic and a Soundblaster I'm guessing your microphone should be the first thing to get replaced, not the card. I seriously doubt that the Soundblaster introduces more noise into the signal than a cheap mic would.

I have tried doing direct line-in, and although it eliminates a large chunk of the noise, I unfortunately lose the nice sound that my peavey puts out...

Works good for little demos and recording general idea stuff, though.