Lost Detour

the_dying

Jan 4, 2003
La Flandre
gorath.blackmetal.be
Something for Orphaned Land fans, I think...

---> www.lostdetour.com

“Since the Fall 2003 has a group of five been composing and playing music under the title of Lost Detour. Colorful musical backgrounds from jazz to death metal creates the unique sound of Lost Detour. Recently captured to disc as “Cause and effect” MCD.

Until more is reveiled, sit back and listen to the music…”

That’s all info you can find about this band. The MCD didn’t include an info sheet nor does the site provide any possible information apart from just written. I guess Lost Detour would like to hype themselves through obscurity… What can I say? I like it! The moment I saw the dark artwork and site lay out I immediately became interested!

Let’s say for sure this band hails from the beautiful country of Finland. The guestbook revealed the lots-of-vowel-tongue. Have I ever heard something bad coming from Finland the last weeks? No. I’m curious in what other bands these guys play. You can be damn sure of it they have years of experience. Look, what band can write such good and musical songs in only one year of existence? All three songs on “Cause and effect” sound very professional and mature. Tell me how clever “My assignment” is set up? Starting off very Opeth alike in its full acoustic glory with crystal clear vocals. Harder distorted parts are coming from a more progressive approach with many breaks and weird melodies. “Travesty” is more up tempo and uses the same vocal recipe as the other songs: clean vocals plus deeper grunts and raw screams. The atmospheric “Faceless one” closes down the mini CD in grandeur, moody and melodic yet less progressive as the songs before. The production is top notch, almost no remarks concerning it. Yet a minor reaction: the clean vocals sound a bit too loud from time to time… Anyway, I don’t need to review this one; it’s fully downloadable at the band’s homepage.

Lost Detour has impressed me. “Cause of death” is just one superb MCD. Behind’s one back I’m wondering if this band has got something to do with the – already dead for several years now – Finish band Godfall. Sometimes the vocals and way of accents remind me a bit of them… I still embrace their 1993 demo… Good old times... Anyway, I’m going off topic know. LISTEN TO THE MP3’S AND BE ASTONISHED!

Wow... the site looks cool indeed, except that a bit more info would be nice (I'll check on metal-archives or rockdetector)... I'll download the songs tonight at home if I don't forget, but what you say sounds quite interesting ;)