Lost Horizon - A flame to the ground beneath

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
1. Transdimensional revelation.

Atmospheric intro with space like keyboard effects. It seems you can’t have an album without an intro these days. This one is not musical at all but more of a scene setter like in a sci-fi movie at the beginning

2. Pure

The opening song is a speedy number, as you would expect. It has everything that you would expect in modern Power Metal. Great galloping riffs, melodic powerful vocals and a great chorus that sounds very epic. Like Heart of storm from the debut only much much better!!

3. Lost in the depths of me

An epic sounding track with mid tempo riffs that build and build. Soaring power vocals over the top. The vocals have improved big time over the debut! Not to say the vocals were bad but now this dude sits near the top of the tree for power metal vocals. The epic vocal melodies are just breathtaking at times in this song. The musicianship is as good as it can be. Perfect epic mid to fast paced Euro Power Metal. There are some nice keys in the background, which broaden the sound and give the band a sense of being Grand or Huge. Towards the end there is a fantastic solo before more epic vocal melodies take over and are whirling around your ears and rampaging all over the speakers. What can I say just a superb song!

4. Again will the fire burn

Starts off epic sounding once again before guitars kick in with a mid tempo. They are holding back pretty well it seems for those of you who don’t like speed all the time. Special mention of the epic keys which are just adding a perfect touch to this song. Again the vocals are out of this world with range and power. There are one or two moments when he strains at the high note but those are very few and far between. His mid range is just perfect. The chorus is once again very epic and not throwaway or happy sounding like most Euro power metal. A glorious solo invades the air near the end along with some fantastic keys once again. Overall so far I am getting a feeling that this album is HUGE! Not catchy sugary melodies but thoughtful melodies that build and build.

5. The song of the earth

A short keyboard interlude leading onto the next song. So out of 9 songs 3 are not proper songs.

6. Cry of a restless soul

An epic song at 8:22 starts off with some spoken words and then builds with layers of guitars and epic keyboards before the pace of the song is resumed and its fast from this point on. The riffs are of the galloping kind that will get your head nodding and your toes tapping. The vocal melodies are super smooth and memorable with a perfect delivery. The song has many layers and builds onwards with riffs piled thick. The chorus is great once again and full of emotion. Some high pitched screams at times but always with power though they can get a bit too much at times but they are not what I would call annoying. Song ends with screaming solos and atmospheric wind effects. Not the best song here but still very good.

7. Think not forever

Song opens with an almighty scream before it settles down with some keyboard atmospherics and then a huge riff thunders into view which is guaranteed to bang the head that doesn’t bang! The song settles down into this groove before the pace is slowed down for the chorus, which is a corker by the way. Very majestic and full of emotional vocals. The main riff returns later backed with some great ripping melodic solos that really show off the guitar players’ abilities in full force. Another great melodic power metal tune for us to get our teeth stuck into!!

8. Highlander(The one)

The longest and most epic track at 11:56 in an album full of epic sounding power metal. Starts off with melodic singing and keys for backing before the vocals end and the atmosphere builds before a power chord invades the sound-scape for heaviness before the main riff begins with some aggressive vocals which turn more melodic as the song builds. The song is not fast paced so far but sounds awesome in any case. Plenty of twists and turns in the music to keep you guessing. Will it be fast? Will it be atmospheric? Will it be slow and ballad like? Well you get the whole works in this song. Plus amazing vocal melodies that will grab hold of you and not let go. The riffs and axework in general in this song are the best of the whole album it has to be said. The song draws to its conclusion with some of the best axework yet.

9. Deliverance

Space like minimalist atmospheres for 3:27 to end. Can’t see the point in this myself but there you go

Basically you can’t be a power metal fan and not at least listen to this album. It offers everything a power head seeks and more. Only criticism I have is the fact that it’s a little short and with 3 songs only being atmospheric pieces we could have expected a little more music

I can't stand power-metal, but the first Lost Horizon is absolutely amazing (and therefore, the only PM album I need). I can't wait for this album and the new Luciferion. Wojtek kills!

These are real musicians that actually know how to play their instruments! Just because they don't barf out gurgly ass unitelligible lyrics and play at hyperspeed all the time doesn't make them bad. You nay-sayers need to wake up. This albums kicks ass over most releases these days.

I'm not a huge power metal fan myself but I received Awakening The World to review and loved it. A Flame To The Ground Beneath is not quite as fast but you can't deny the talent these guys have. I think it's a great album but the intro and outro are a bit long in my opinion. I like short intros and then getting to the meat of the album. Overall an excellent addition to my collection.