"Lost Issue" of LotFP now online!

Jim, you are too hard on yourself sometimes. I read "the lost issue" and found it to be more honest then most "professional" reviewers/journalists/writers/whatever-you-want-to-call-them that are around today. Sure it reads more like a journal, but it breathes passion, and that is one thing that's missing in today's "anyone can create a zine" Internet world.

There's a reason why LotFP has gained a name for itself - a reason 3/4 of the other zines out there (be it web or print) can only dream about having.

And that's all I have to say bout that.

-Cam

All of the disclaimers are mostly about the fact that I wouldn't normally say things like "satanic nazi jew bitch" in an article (several really cheap shots are taken in here)... and Sweden is in the EU... things like that.

Other than that, damn right I rule. :p

Nobody wants to be special anymore,
nobody wants to stand out and be different. Your
band is very guilty of having absolutely no
vision, of every single moment having been
recycled from bands that came before you. No
originality in a lyric, in presentation, nothing. I
don't even want to know how much of your life
has been spent practicing your guitar for the end
result of sounding like other people.

Not sure how much you'd comment from the articles since they never went to print, but from your e-mail to that Petrossi guy....some of this was harsh. I think people pick up an instrument and practice for hours so that they can play the same music they like to listen to.

That said, I think there needs to be a line drawn between "inspiration" and "plagiarism". I've not heard this album so I can't comment, but I will recognize that people are inspired, or at least motivated, by others. That's inherent within any music form, obviously.

And here exists the difference between the ability to play and the ability to write. I think we should all just accept the fact that only a fraction of a percentage of musicians (of any genre) can actually write. It's not something you learn, you're either gifted or lucky. (I'm sure several styles/sounds/sub-genres were invented by way of pure luck and general acceptance.)

You'll always have trend setters and trend followers. You'll also have people who play in a band just because they like what they play, simply because metal musicians are also metal fans. People are ok with having fun and enjoying the scene they've adopted. I think it's ok to let that slide and recognize that if you only want unique, truly progressive music, then you're never going to be buying more than 5 CDs a year.

There's just nowhere else for metal to go without it becoming non-metal. The boundaries have been reached (and have been for quite some time).

JayKeeley I have to agree with you mostly. But I don't want carbon copy bands. They have to have something that catches me.

As a guitar player, I practice a bit just playing whatever comes to mind. Not trying to play any songs or anything, just playing. But at other times I want to play songs of favorite bands. Its fun. And when you are making music that you consider beautiful (whether you wrote it or not... see most classical musicians, what ounce of originality do most of them have? Do they care? Do they deserve scorn?) it feels damn good, and can be very escapist.

That said, most of the bands that I focus my listening time into, sound different from each other. But that doesn't mean that I don't also listen some to some bands that might not have the 'original' gene.

I think people pick up an instrument and practice for hours so that they can play the same music they like to listen to.

I agree, but I've never liked it.

I've not heard this album so I can't comment

Do find it. As cheap as possible, for your sake. You need to hear it before determining if the original review (now here: Lamentations of the Flame Princess Heavy Metal Print Zine ) or my response was too much.

And here exists the difference between the ability to play and the ability to write. I think we should all just accept the fact that only a fraction of a percentage of musicians (of any genre) can actually write.

Agreed. Still don't think the people who do write even though they can't should be given any sort of a pass because of it though.

There's just nowhere else for metal to go without it becoming non-metal. The boundaries have been reached (and have been for quite some time).

... I think this is why I'm on such a retro-binge... and have been for over a year now, haha...

Metal Rules disagrees with you! Metal-Rules.com

I can't find this Magic Kingdom album. So instead I'm listening to Dushan Petrossi's The Mask. Which is basically the first album. Or something.

For originality. Yeah. You are right.

Guitar playing is good. Though I don't care much for his tone.

Singing does nothing for me. It sounds really muddy in this mix.

The problem with this is not that it is 'neo-classical' guitar. The problem is that most neo-classical guitarists all seem to think that all classical music sounds the same or something. Because they all seem to rip off the same sounds. Maybe they are all just ripping off Yngwie. I don't know. I have some hope that most neo-classical guitarists actually studied classical music.. in some way.

Oh yeah. And the song writing here is nearly absent. It kind of feels like 'Old Mc DUncan had a guitar e i e i ohh.. here's a riff, there's a riff, every where a riff riff" And just put them together and said 'okay here's a song, now here's some lyrics so sing baby sing!' I get that a lot from bands though. Parts to their songs don't seem to go together at all. I think they just fiddle with their guitar get some things they like, and then put them together, repeat them once or twice, see if they have enough minutes, and hit the press.