Lost to the Living reviews.

Terrorizer

8/10

There's no waiting around for anything to grow on here. No need to mourn a riff or a melody not fulfilling it's potential. From the very first seconds of the aptly-titled opener 'Cathedral,' a regal, majestic lick leads to riff-work akin to a breathtaking stained glass window, a prayer frozen on its way to metal heaven and the listener's heart. Daylight Dies have indeed perfected their craft, a shimmering, beautifully constructed dialogue between massively crunchy rhythm guitar and soaring, harmonic lead punctuations and solos that are so precise the whole thing seems weightless-- not as in 'not heavy', mind, but in the sense of the purifying letting go of life itself, a final, powerful sacrifice. A beautifully tragic holy ghost-- that of a virgin suicide. Daylight Dies' fourth album serves as a bid for a seat in the pantheon of the giants of melodic, gothic death doom. But this is more than a nod or a tribute to the titans, because Daylight Dies weave disparate influences from different eras to a whole that sounds instantly classic and fresh at the same time. Imagine the sound of contemporary Katatonia, the might of classic mid-era Paradise Lost, and the vocal delivery of early Opeth-- the sublimely soaring spiked with muscular primitivism. The package is consistent throughout-- 'Lost to the Living' feels like a singular entity, flowing like some alchemical, mercurial sermon. The songtitles-- 'A Portrait in White', 'A Subtle Violence', 'And a Slow Surrender' -- are as descriptive of the sound as they are of the content. The newish frontier of clean vocals presented on 'Woke up Lost' and 'Last Alone" are more than welcome and can easily be imagined working as gloriously within the context of heavier compositions. Let us pray.

So... any chance that on your next tour, YOU will be the headliner? You guys deserve a longer set...

Hmm I've had a change of heart regarding the new CD. At first I thought it was nothing special but now I really like it. I will order a CD+T-shirt when I get some money.

Zero Tolerance:

5/6

After the widespread critical acclaim of their last album, Dismantling Devotion, one could perhaps expect some resting on laurels from Daylight Dies. One would be horribly wrong. Having just been on tour with Candlemass no less, North Carolina’s most mournful of sons have carved a monumental slice of harsh melancholy that harks back to Katatonia’s early period in its organic nature and dissonant rhythms and yet builds on this with the introduction of progressive rock elements, including Dave Gilmour-style clean vocals. Lyrically focusing on the time we lose to life’s menial tasks and day-to-day boredom, Lost To The Living oozes genuine sorrow, given texture by acoustic strings and woodwinds. There is an undeniable similarity to Sweden’s Opeth, made more apparent by the fact that they used the same producer, Jens Bogren at Fascination Street. The overall atmosphere achieved by Daylight Dies, however, is more miserable and dreamlike, and the progressive elements less prominent and per chance a tad less ‘muso’. The highlight is album closer ‘This Morning Light’, a stunningly poignant, brooding masterpiece that brings proceedings to a devastating close.

Zero Tolerance:

5/6

After the widespread critical acclaim of their last album, Dismantling Devotion, one could perhaps expect some resting on laurels from Daylight Dies. One would be horribly wrong. Having just been on tour with Candlemass no less, North Carolina’s most mournful of sons have carved a monumental slice of harsh melancholy that harks back to Katatonia’s early period in its organic nature and dissonant rhythms and yet builds on this with the introduction of progressive rock elements, including Dave Gilmour-style clean vocals. Lyrically focusing on the time we lose to life’s menial tasks and day-to-day boredom, Lost To The Living oozes genuine sorrow, given texture by acoustic strings and woodwinds. There is an undeniable similarity to Sweden’s Opeth, made more apparent by the fact that they used the same producer, Jens Bogren at Fascination Street. The overall atmosphere achieved by Daylight Dies, however, is more miserable and dreamlike, and the progressive elements less prominent and per chance a tad less ‘muso’. The highlight is album closer ‘This Morning Light’, a stunningly poignant, brooding masterpiece that brings proceedings to a devastating close.

Thank you for posting that, I'd been looking for that review for a while. Still looking for the Metal Hammer and Kerrang reviews if anyone has seen them..

I found this review:

This is the fourth full length album released from DAYLIGHT DIES two years after "Dismantling Devotion" that saw the light of the day in 2006. This ablum is the second one with Nathan Ellis on the vocals who took Guthrie Iddings’ place after the "No Reply" release in 2002.

To be honest with you I didn’t know this band from North Carolina until I saw them on-stage as the opening act for the latest CANDLEMASS North American tour. Then I found difficult to follow their music because the band’s presence on-stage was that stationary that could be characterized as indifferent. So, I was more than sceptic when the promo version of "Lost To The Living" fell on my hands.

The album opens with "Cathedral" a song that has distinct early PARADISE LOST influences with the down tuned guitars and the doomy feeling. The sound production is crystal clear and keeps the perfect balance between the distorted and the clean melodic sounds. This track made me think that my first almost bad impression of this band was exclusively due to their weak on-stage show and not to their music. With "A Portrait in White" I felt even more confident on my latter thought; the song gains some speed and depth through the nicely put guitar effects. The solid rhythm section looks way back to the BLACK SABBATH days when Doom Metal was still an embryo.

Usually, this kind of music is not my cup of tea since I find the too-depressive atmosphere kind of boring and after a while I loose all my initial interest. Fortunately, this did not happen with "Lost To The Living" mainly because the songs are riff based comprising some very good guitar harmonies and even some melodies that can haunt your mind after a while. Like in "And a Slow Surrender" that kicks in really slow with some clean arpeggios and nicely put keyboards (or is it a real violin?) slowly building the tension that finds an outlet when the distortion enters.

Egan O’Rourke sits behind the microphone with his clean voice in "Lost Alone" that slightly touches the Gothic sound bringing in additional keyboards and clean guitar melodies. The album closes after the almost eight minutes of "The Morning Light"; this song has some tempo changes and I believe it is focused on the gloomy atmosphere where the slightly deeper sounding vocals perfectly fit.

So, this album turned my head around with DAYLIGHT DIES who (I believe) have to work more on their on-stage performance although I understand that this music genre does not really help them on this direction. The album is very good and it is perfect for the early PARADISE LOST or the mid KATATONIA fans.

4/5

Hmm, quite a lousy review, I somehow can't stand it when reviewers don't have their facts right (4th full-length album, "Lost Alone" etc..). I mean, that's the easy part, just read f.f.s... Good thing the album convinced him after his initial 'bad' impression from seeing you live (very hard to fathom how one could possibly get a bad impression about DD from that, but OK...).

Great seeing things like that "Portrait in the white"! Perfect album of the year, like stronghold who's strenght never ran out. Special surprize for die hard fans of Daylight Dies, Katatonia, Anathema, Opeth and e.t.c.

P.S Similliarity with magic of dark and beauty melancholy.