Lousiana seeking to privatize public school system...

too bad the cultural parts from whom the bible was written werent particularly advanced in mathematics, to get a good math education you should read some shintoism books...

My futuristic thoughts on the education system:

In our day of electronic communication we can create a new type of school - a room with 1 not necessarily highly qualified adult watching over a small (10-15 kids) group of children learning everything on computers with highly efficient learning software designed by the best experts, any unexpected problems and questions solved via a two way audio/video link (may be even 3d or a holographic projection) to a highly qualified teacher which would get recorded and archived for future noninteractive searchindexed FAQ.

The whole thing would be a bit expensive to set up if we count the electronic hardware and software, but a lot less expensive if no dedicated building needs to be built.
Also running such small neighborhood teaching cells would be less expensive for parents and less time expensive for children because of no need for transportation to a distant old style big school.

The current system is flawed because most teachers are just not dedicated enough to be REALLY good at teaching, some even teach wrong (thats from my own experience), also schools are not very safe environment for less aggressive children.
And of course education is just too expensive - people take huge loans which they later have big trouble paying off.

In our day of electronic communication we can create a new type of school - a room with 1 not necessarily highly qualified adult watching over a small (10-15 kids) group of children learning everything on computers with highly efficient learning software designed by the best experts, any unexpected problems and questions solved via a two way audio/video link (may be even 3d or a holographic projection) to a highly qualified teacher which would get recorded and archived for future noninteractive searchindexed FAQ.

The whole thing would be a bit expensive to set up if we count the electronic hardware and software, but a lot less expensive if no dedicated building needs to be built.
Also running such small neighborhood teaching cells would be less expensive for parents and less time expensive for children because of no need for transportation to a distant old style big school.

The current system is flawed because most teachers are just not dedicated enough to be REALLY good at teaching, some even teach wrong (thats from my own experience), also schools are not very safe environment for less aggressive children.
And of course education is just too expensive - people take huge loans which they later have big trouble paying off.

I think you just described http://www.khanacademy.org/

Funny you should mention Khan Academy.

I saw an interesting interview with Sebastian Thrun (of Google) yesterday talking about his new venture called Udacity (he quotes Khan Academy as being a demonstration that this type of idea can succeed), a free college level program currently focused on mostly Computer Science areas of study, but he sees this as being a model for future education, Thrun says he wants to democratize higher education, offering knowledge to the world for free.

It all started when he offered a college level program at Stamford which after a discussion with some other Stamford professors they decided to open it to online participants for free and to give those that completed it certification and grades, ... (by the way they sent out the notification of this to a single professional group and within a day had over 10,000 people registered for it), all without ever informing Stamford of their intent. Needless to say Stamford found out and had concerns and questions.

It's certainly a positive step towards a brave new world of education, one that hopefully takes hold. Here are several links to find out infromation about Udacity.

http://www.udacity.com/

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...s-online-schooling-to-the-next-academic-level

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2012/01/31/udacitys-model/

Here is a link to the video of the interview I saw yesterday: http://video.msnbc.msn.com/dylan-ratigan-show/47680551#47680551

One can only hope something like this succeeds.

i saw some bullshit on some cable news network recently where some guys who run charter schools in new orleans now were going on and on about how great the charters are performing, and the kids are doing way better than they were previously under the public school system, etc. etc....made it sound all hunky dory and shit, then he slipped in(and glossed over) the fact that the kids are going to school 7-7, mon-sat. i don't know why any of the people interviewing him didn't seem to take exception to it, but it seems pretty reprehensible to me to have kids @ school for 72 hrs/week...but i guess that's what it takes to ingrain our youth with that good ol' corporate slave mentality!

I agree that this is the way things seem to be going, however, I think if the education system goes to this extreme, we'll actually lose one of the biggest advantages that traditional "school" has going for it: it teaches socialization skills.