Love at First Sting

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
I was telling SWINE that I picked this up today in the used bins...SCORPIONS LOVE AT FIRST STING. A classic. But man, I had forgotten how truly great this album is. Of course, it features Rock You Like A Hurricane (Who in this room plays guitar and did NOT cut your teeth learning that?!?!) but I think the best part of the whole album is the final solo on "Still Loving You". I don't know if it's Mathias or Rudy but DAMN...he's playing the line as it would be sung and then just WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAILS these beautiful high notes with just the right amount of pause and delay between each one to give it a punch or something. If you play you know what I'm saying here...just that "na na na na na naaa naaaa ....... NA NA NA NAAAAAAAAAAAA na na na na" .....

does that make sense? it just gives me chills. I had forgotten all about that part. The ending...the best part of the song.....

"I'm Leaving You" is also a great track and one that may be overlooked...'

just my take....

ted

Great album! I also liked the live album from that period... World Wide Live. Played the live album more than Love At First Sting.

Not a bad album, but if you see the long Scorpions thread I'll bet you'll find the Roth/Schenker era much more intersting musically.

tedvanfrehley said:
I don't know if it's Mathias or Rudy but DAMN...he's playing the line as it would be sung and then just WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAILS these beautiful high notes with just the right amount of pause and delay between each one to give it a punch or something. If you play you know what I'm saying here...just that "na na na na na naaa naaaa ....... NA NA NA NAAAAAAAAAAAA na na na na" .....

ted
That is Jabs and though not the songwriter Roth was, he is as good as a soloist as God made. His choice of notes and his phrasing (the way he plays the notes) are amazing. A lot of that great guitar work can be attributed to Dieter Dirks though. Dirks loves the guitar and "hides" many licks deep in the mix. The guitar work on that CD and the followup "savage Amusement" is fasntstic.

Bryant

I just watched a DVD of them last night!! It was awesome, it brought back memories of the show I seen. Man! They are a great live band, jumping around, running up stairs and crap. Anytime they are around the Twin Cities, I'll be there!