Love?

anonymousnick2001

World's Greatest Vocalist
Aug 10, 2003
I
No, not the SYL song...

What is it about this topic? It's like no one wants to write or hear anything about it unless it's in the vein of Dismember's "Skin Her Alive." A great song, but doesn't anyone accept that love is one of the most powerful emotions we have? If it could be utilized, it could be so powerful. Instead of the emoartfaggery or the outright depression of doom metal, and especially that Poison shit from the hair band era, why don't bands sing about love?

Or, if I'm uninformed or have been listening to too much hateful black metal, brutal death metal, rainbow/elf-hugging power metal, beer-guzzling thrash metal, or politicking grind, inform me on how love is expressed in metal.

I want recs. And yes, Erik, I'm familiar with Killswitch Engage. :)

*ducks to dodge Swedish meatball grenade*

Well, many bands utilizes love in their lyrics, just not the type your thinking of. I'm talking about love of one's country, etc...

But I guess that's not what you were aiming at.

The problem is probably that love is already overused as a lyrical topic by pop bands even without metal bands singing about it.
I also think there are enough love-lyrics in non-extreme-metal like Iced Earth's Dark Saga or similiar things...

6. I'm Not That Kind Of Boy

I was selling flowers by the side of the road
And you came to the flower stand
I was telling you about pansies and roses
But you tried to grab my hand

I'm flattered, but it's my choice
Sorry, I'm not that kind of boy
You may see a heart as a toy

You think love is a game, whatever you wish
But for me it's years till that magical first kiss
I'll wait until my heart's on cloud nine
Your lust-filled existence is far out of line

You dared to ask me for a date alone
I was shocked you didn't want a chaperone
You were attractive, but way too fast
How could you expect this to ever last?

Downtuned Guitars, double-bass drumming, and low-end vocals aren't viewed as appropriate aesthetics to describe love, which is seen as soft, tender, and delicate. Probably best to leave the topic of love to soft jazz, new age, and pop ballads.

Atrox - "Heartquake"
The Third And The Mortal - "Why So Lonely"
Shadow Gallery - "The Queen Of The City Of Ice"

As someone mentioned, there are too many songs about love in pop, hard rock, etc. Even some metal bands have love songs (Dream Theater, Opeth, As I Lay Dying, etc.). Because this topic is already overused in other genres, I would not like to see it become a prevalent theme in death/thrash/black metal.

I'm glad there's a place for me to escape from the utterly disgusting badrhymed lovesongs.Don't pollute.