Low mids in the guitars

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
How do you guys tame the low mids into guitar tracks ?

I always end up cutting some 100-400 Hz in the guitars to make them sit in the mix, especially when quad tracking, low mids are really jumping on plam mutes. I know there's the C4 multiband preset but I didn't try it yet and I think it won't solve the problem completely.
Do you have a particular way to do ?

It depends on the guitar tone, but I usually find myself having to tame the mids in a few different regions. There's usually at least two - one being in the lower mids that are muddy, like 200 to 400 Hz and the other being in the flat 'cardboard' range around about 700 to 900Hz. Then you got the higher mids that fight with the vox at like 3k, and of course the mid bass humps from cab and room resonance anywhere from 90 to 160Hz. That's not even getting into the fizz anywhere from 4 to 10+kHz. Guitars are usually the source of all my EQ frustration as there is so much involved in the sound and they're so broadband they can easily make or kill your mix.

Honestly, just the C4 works really well with me. Depending on the cab though it may require more or less compression. Sometimes than just a roll off around 80hz.