Luca Turilli's solo stuff

dcowboys311

Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Anybody who knows my taste in music knows that for the most part, I'm not a fan of cheese. At all. I can't stand Fairyland, Rhapsody, and plenty of other bands in the genre. A few days ago though, I heard a few tracks from Luca Turilli's album "Prophet of the Last Eclipse" and was floored. I'm not sure what it is about it, but I can't get enough of those songs. Are the rest of his albums worth checking out? Also, how is his "Dreamquest" project?

King of the Nordic Twilight is just like the one you have, however, I can't understand if think Rhapsody is cheesy how you think this is not. :)

Both of those albums are really good...the Dreamquest one is very ambient from what I remember of it, and not the same as his first two cds. Hope that helps. :headbang:

Anybody who knows my taste in music knows that for the most part, I'm not a fan of cheese. At all. I can't stand Fairyland, Rhapsody, and plenty of other bands in the genre. A few days ago though, I heard a few tracks from Luca Turilli's album "Prophet of the Last Eclipse" and was floored. I'm not sure what it is about it, but I can't get enough of those songs. Are the rest of his albums worth checking out? Also, how is his "Dreamquest" project?

Personally, I like his solo debut, "King of the Nordic Twilight" the best. It's a small bit of a departure from Rhapsody, but still has some cheese which just runs through his veins, I guess. Seems like the songs on his debut have more of an identity of their own than the Rhapsody tunes, but that's just what my ears tell me. I haven't heard Dreamquest. Prophets didn't appeal to me much and I ended up trading it in and never bothered researching Dreamquest.

My favorite Rhapsody disc is their debut, "Legendary Tales." IMO, if you've heard that one, you've pretty much heard them all. After that, the excitement of something fresh wore off with every album thereafter being a rehash of the first, IMO. And then the clone wars broke out. :lol:

I have the first three Rhapsody discs, but stopped buying after that. Of course those who love that Rhapsody groove have been well served by the band staying the course. Their cover art and packaging has remained excellent over their career though.

A few days ago though, I heard a few tracks from Luca Turilli's album "Prophet of the Last Eclipse" and was floored. I'm not sure what it is about it, but I can't get enough of those songs. Are the rest of his albums worth checking out? Also, how is his "Dreamquest" project?

I like Prophet of the Last Eclipse and King of the Nordic Twilight the best. I was not fond of The Infinite Wonders of Creation or Dreamquest, but I have read a lot of people who like those two just fine. KotNT is the most Rhapsody-like. Prophet of the Last Eclipse gives it more of an electronic edge (less cheesy symphony, more orchestration - if that makes sense). I'd try KotNT next. I mean, after all, who can't love an album with a song called The Ancient Forest of Elves!!!

Ken

I have to agree, King of the Nordic Twilight is the best of his solo stuff... supposedly his next solo album is going back to what he did KofNT...

Prophet of the Last Eclipse gives it more of an electronic edge (less cheesy symphony, more orchestration - if that makes sense).

Yes, now I remember - it was that "electronica" vibe that killed Prophet... for me. It was too big of a curveball for me (and a big letdown) after King of...

Im surprised you like that album, that one and Kings of NOrdic Twilight are very reminiscent of Rhapsody. Infinite wonders of Creation is imo his weakest work, alot of guess vocals from someone who is basically Floor haha. His other album under Dreamquest is pretty solid though.

I like Prophet of the Last Eclipse and King of the Nordic Twilight the best. I was not fond of The Infinite Wonders of Creation or Dreamquest
Ditto...his first two albums are amazing. I also recommend getting the Demonheart EP and the digipak of Prophet...those have some great bonus tracks like Black Realm's Majesty and Dark Comet's Reign :worship:

But yeah, Luca said his next album would be back to speedy power, and Olaf Hayer would be a vocal hero or something :lol: He also said he was working on another Dreamquest album...the guy is frickin prolific!

I just listened to a few songs from "King of the Nordic Twilight" and I really like them a lot. I just can't figure out why! It's cheesy as hell but I don't hate it.

I just listened to a few songs from "King of the Nordic Twilight" and I really like them a lot. I just can't figure out why! It's cheesy as hell but I don't hate it.

Its time to redownload the Rhapsody discography imo, if you can dig Nordic Twilight you can get Rhapsody.