MÖRK GRYNING: "Pieces of Primal Expressionism"

Slynt

Lord and Liar
May 31, 2001
Norway
Visit site
The new Mörk Gryning album is definitely something you should check out if you, like me, love epic and fast death/black metal.

The production of the album is quite good, and the song structures are for the most part more interesting than your average death metal band.

The band mixes melodic parts ála Rotting Christ with progressive elements, hyperfast black metal parts, memorable choruses and verses. Some elements are reminiscent of bands such as Old Man's Child, while still retaining their own particular sound.

The cover sleeve is very well done, it's been a time since I enjoyed looking through lyrics and art.

Recommended!
:)

Judging from the artwork, I had hoped for some more modern elements... are those to be found in the music? Your review doesn't tell me much about that...

Yes this album has more modern influences but is still definatley awesome.

it is not as raw and black metal as the other releases. it also doesnt sound like dissection type stuff either. It is mork gryning developing a completely unique sound.

I got it. It has some great stuff on it but it gets a little boring toward the end. They start to remind me of Rotting Christ, who I think take a ton of great riffs and make them repetitive and boring. I'm still going to pick up Mealstom Chaos, though.