M-audio pre's

Aug 16, 2008
London, UK
fb.com
Hey, I have a m-audio fast track pro, and I wanted to ask if it's normal for these pre's be so friggin' bad. It receives direct guitar signals well, but for mics, sm58 or even sm81 (with phpower obviously) it need to have the knob turned on at max to get a "normal" signal, even then it's pretty low... Are these just teh suck? Or is there something wrong with it?

Hey, I have a m-audio fast track pro, and I wanted to ask if it's normal for these pre's be so friggin' bad. It receives direct guitar signals well, but for mics, sm58 or even sm81 (with phpower obviously) it need to have the knob turned on at max to get a "normal" signal, even then it's pretty low... Are these just teh suck? Or is there something wrong with it?

As far as I know a friend of mine is having the same issue...

Fast track pros are junk.

you're getting:
USB connection
2 mic preamps
2 Hi-Z inputs
A-D conversion
D-A Conversion
headphone amp
and MIDI I/O
for $200
where do you think they skimped on to get the price that low?

Hmm, I dunno if that's a given, the Lexicon Omega and EMU 0404 have the same features (you forgot to mention SPDIF i/o :)) at the same price, and the 0404 in particular is supposed to be pretty bitchin' (awful drivers not withstanding)

the new USB audiobox from presonus has been getting good reviews. It doesn't have the features of the Firebox but its half the price.

I might get one in the future for mobile mixing.

EDIT: just find out that there's no line level input only mic/instrument DI which its a shame...