Machine Head & Mastodon...

Mikey-Bong

May 29, 2011
Saw both of these bands at Mayhem Fest for the first time and liked what I heard. What would you say are there best albums?

I did a thread like this last year after seeing The Deftones and you folks helped me out. Thanks in advance for your help!:kickass:

It depends on what you liked in what they played.
For Mastodon, they have a grindcore-ish past, so Remission is dramatically different from their prog-stylings of today. On the whole, maybe start with Leviathan.

Machine Head had a nu-metal past... maybe start with The Blackening...?

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Machine Head - Burn My Eyes

I could easily name many more but these are my fave from each.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Feel free to name more than one album, whatever you like. If I like the first albums I buy, I'll want to have more.

Just because Rob wore an adidas outfit in a vid & a bit of rapping..MH turned from METAL GODS to STUPID NU METAL BAND..rubbish..

MH- Burn My Eyes for sure!!

Mh the more things change is quite a good album,not to fussed on any if there other stuff,it all sounds the same,never heard any of mastodon

MH - Burn My Eyes. At a time when metal was hanging by a noose, for a thrash record to appear on the scene and actually be successful, really was something. A real classic, and Death Church is a fucking storming tune.

The More Things Change is a pretty good record too. Overall, the tunes are catchier and less in your face but still worth a listen.

I pretty much ignored everything after this until the Blackening. That's not a statement on the "in-between" records... I've just never listened to them.

Never could get into Mastodon, so nothing to add.

Thanks everybody. I know the board is slow these days so I'll give it another week or so to get more suggestions.

Mastodon - Leviathan, or Crack the Skye if you went to get more proggy.

Machine Head- Nothing because they suck. Only a few good songs.

Don't. The only way to begin with Machine Head is Burn My Eyes.

This.

My other fave from them is Through the Ashes of Empires. Everyone always craps on about The Blackening being their best, but while I think it's a great record, it's also very overated.

Burn My Eyes is the way to start. Excellent album right through.

WelcomeBack1-1.gif