Machine Head - The Blackening

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I never really paid much attention to Machine Head. I kind of figured them for a pure new metal band, but admit I never really heard them for more than a few seconds to even make that assessment.

In any case, I've read so many positive reviews of The Blackening (both from journalists and fans) that I figured, "oh hell, I'll give it a chance...."

Anyway, holy shit! I haven't the slightest what their other stuff is really like, but this is a GREAT, GREAT record. I'd call it something like Nevermore, with a more hardcore-ish vocal....but, really, lots of old school stuff mixed it. I am THOROUGHLY impressed, and that comes after having been a little prejudiced going in. I keep spinning it over and over.

I never really paid much attention to Machine Head. I kind of figured them for a pure new metal band, but admit I never really heard them for more than a few seconds to even make that assessment.

In any case, I've read so many positive reviews of The Blackening (both from journalists and fans) that I figured, "oh hell, I'll give it a chance...."

Anyway, holy shit! I haven't the slightest what their other stuff is really like, but this is a GREAT, GREAT record. I'd call it something like Nevermore, with a more hardcore-ish vocal....but, really, lots of old school stuff mixed it. I am THOROUGHLY impressed, and that comes after having been a little prejudiced going in. I keep spinning it over and over.

I had to agree. Their new album is BADASS!! I am going to see them live next saturday at the Fields of Rock festival.

See here:

http://www.fieldsofrock.nl/programma.asp?id=81

I listened to half of the new album. Nah! I don't like this band. Not unless someone can point me to another album of theirs that's better than this new one.

I've had this for a couple months, and although I'm not crazy about the vocals, this album IS badass. The music is unbelievable. The guitarists shred, and they sound old-school, because they are! The guitatists are from Vio-lence! They definitely have a hardcore edge to them....but the music is just pure thrash IMO.

Their debut Burn My Eyes from '94 is pretty damn good too!

here's my review:
As we are used from Machine Head, this album also has an agressive undertone. But still most of the songs sound kind of nu metalish. The half-growling is still present in the songs but also a normal, higher kind of singing which reminds me of Trivium. When I listened to the song "Now I lay thee down" and "Halo" I was confused because I thought Trivium was guest preforming on the cd. I was wrong. The singing in some songs just resemble their songs alot.
Good thing about the cd is that the songs have grown longer. Previous cds had songs of mostly 4-5 minutes. The Blackening's songs are longer (it even has two of over 10 minutes). This longtitude gives Machine Head the chance to put some variation in the music. Fast drums and guitars come before and after silent vocals which often remind me of Opeth.
This has also given more room for greater guitar solos and better music composition in total.

conclusion: Not a bad album. Machine head has definitly tried to make this one of their greatest by making the songs larger and putting more varation into the music. Yet the diffrent vocals are not what we're used about them and kinda bring down the agressive effect that they used to have. This cd is more for the nu-metal fans among us.

Their previous work was better

Great album. I suggest picking up Through the Ashes of Empires next as it's the closest album to The Blackening.
Burn My Eyes is a total classic but doesn't have an old school feel like The Blackening.:kickass:

"Burn My Eyes" is the next closest thing to "Kill 'Em All". Undeniable classic. The only reason it gets overlooked is because it came out in late 1994 and also Rob Flynn took the band in a nu-Metal direction in recent years, losing a lot of respect. Eric Peterson from Testament in 1999 talking about their new album "The Gathering" :"We didn't want to pull a Machine Head. We want to remain heavy..."

That said, I haven't heard the new one and will probably pick up a used version for less than $9, if I can find one.

blackening is great...love how they put in more solos and duel harmonies...could of cut down abit on the song lengths...its more a continuation of "Through the ashes..."but i still think the first two albums are their best work.

Thought they were okay as opening act on Heaven & Hell show... Never paid any attention to them before.

I've gone through some of the older albums, including Through the Ashes...(which is okay, but not as good as this new one),and I really think that some folks would be surprised by the fantastic quality of this one. It reminds me A LOT of This Godless Endeavor era Nevermore....albeit with very different vocals. This is a top 5 record (this year) for me, for sure, and maybe tops altogether. I like what older stuff I've heard now well enough, but this album is something special in their catalogue.

If you've not heard it, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't give it a shot. It's a monster. Not at all nu-metal (which is what I thought they were?), very OLD SCHOOL, thrash, killer KILLER riffs, cool melodies. One good song after another.

I've gone through some of the older albums, including Through the Ashes...(which is okay, but not as good as this new one),and I really think that some folks would be surprised by the fantastic quality of this one. It reminds me A LOT of This Godless Endeavor era Nevermore....albeit with very different vocals. This is a top 5 record (this year) for me, for sure, and maybe tops altogether. I like what older stuff I've heard now well enough, but this album is something special in their catalogue.

If you've not heard it, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't give it a shot. It's a monster. Not at all nu-metal (which is what I thought they were?), very OLD SCHOOL, thrash, killer KILLER riffs, cool melodies. One good song after another.

This is definitely one of the top albums of the year. It's the only album from 2007 that I've heard. I still need to get Cephalic's new one though.