Mad Max- Night Of White Rock

Billenzimmer

Jan 19, 2006
Mad Max- Night Of White Rock
Aor Heaven- 00020- 2005
By James Willcock

MadMax_WhiteRock.jpg

What can I say about Mad Max? They’re a German band that released several albums during the mid eighties before breaking up in 1989, with member Michael Voss playing in the bands Bonfire, Casanova and Silver since then. An album was released in 2000 under the name of Mad Max, but only had two of the four members. Now, they have released a new album with the original line up, after more than two decades since they started out and more than 15 since they split up. They play Christian hard rock/melodic metal.
And that’s about all I can say before I get insulting. I honestly found it an effort to sit through the entirety of this album; I found it that excruciating to listen to. About the only thing that kept me going was thinking how much I could slag it off in this review, and even then I was thinking it should have ended with track 9 rather than track 11. The music is so generic, I can’t quite tell who they’re ripping off, but there certainly isn’t anything here that wasn’t covered at some point during the late 70’s or 80’s. There are elements of Motorhead and Iron Maiden in here, however to draw comparisons between these bands is frankly insulting to Motorhead and Iron Maiden, Mad Max’s music is simple, uninteresting and without a single catchy riff in the entirety of the album. Even the high pitched vocals are weak, instead of sounding like a man singing at the top of his lungs, it sounds much more like a man who’s just been kicked in the balls.
The lyrics too, are terrible, with some of the cheesiest collection of lines this side of a happy hardcore compilation (no, really). To top it all off, at the end of Homeless I realised that the words were being pronounced “We’re all homeleth in a way”. Yes, the vocalist, Michael Voss, seems to have a lisp.
Frankly, the entire album has a very weak, unenergetic sound, the only good feature I can possibly find personally is that the production is of a high quality. As Stewie Griffin might say, the band lacks the testicular fortitude for this kind of music. I can only recommend this to fans of any other Christian melodic metal from 20 years ago, and I’m going to go ahead and assume there aren’t many, and even then I can’t believe this is the pick of the genre. As such I give this:

1/10

And, from my point of view, I think that’s being generous.