MADBALL Frontman Doesn't Understand Why Famous Rock Stars Commit Suicide

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In a brand new interview with D&V Production, vocalist Freddy Cricien of New York hardcore veterans MADBALL was asked why he thinks famous rock stars — like Chris Cornell (SOUNDGARDEN) and Chester Bennington (LINKIN PARK) — commit suicide. "I wish I had an answer for you," he responded (see video below). "It's the thing that I've tried to figure out myself. I don't understand what goes on, but then I don't know these people's lives. I mean, at the end of the day, they're people — whether they're famous or rock stars, whatever you wanna call 'em. People are people, and people have problems, and sometimes people can't get around those problems. It's not the choice I would ever personally take. But it's hard — it's hard to get your head around it, 'cause you look at someone and you think they're probably doing okay financially, their bands are doing well, they have families. Why would they do something like that? And I've struggled with those thoughts myself. Why would you do that? As a band that's really grinding it out, who wouldn't want to reach a certain level of success or have certain financial comforts? But it just tells you that everything's not always about money and about certain things. There's some deep-, deep-rooted things with certain people. And there could be drugs involved. There's a lot of factors. So… Yeah, I really couldn't give you an answer." After Cornell died in May, Bennington wrote a letter thanking him for inspiring him and hoping he would find peace in "the next life." Chester died on July 20, which would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday. The two singers bonded when they toured together nearly a decade ago. As previously reported, MADBALL has teamed up with Fast Break Records for a forthcoming split seven-inch single. The "Family Biz" single sees the New York-based outfit joining forces with Pennsylvania's blue-collar-core heroes WISDOM IN CHAINS. To be released on September 25, the split will feature one new song from each group.

Continue reading...