Madmen & Sinners cd is burning up my cd player right now.....

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
Took some time getting this one, my eternal gratitude to Evil C for calling me on Friday to let me know he was staring right at it.

This album is great, Tim Donahue has an interesting style. It's like Steve Vai meets Course Of Empire or something. I dig it more with each listen.

James Labrie turns in a stellar performance, his voice adding even more color to the material.

Who the hell is this?

Checked the web - so this Tim Donahue is the same fuck from Cherry Poppin' Daddies and "Zoot Suit Riot" fame? And he collaborated with James Labrie? :ill:

I always thought James Labrie was one of, if not the most, overrated vocalists in history. There, I said it. :D

If by overrated you mean "gay as fuck," you're right. :loco:

Cherry Poppin' Daddies FUCKING BLEW. That whole fucking scene drove me nuts, except Squirrel Nut Zippers who were hysterical.

Hmm, I guess the only thing positive I can add is that Steve Vai rules. :kickass:

Papa Josh said:
What in the fuck are the both of you talking about? Cherry Poppin Daddies??

I don't think so...
You do have access to Google right? Otherwise, the first hit I found: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6704824&style=music&frm=lk_jkelman

Or, described as...

"A special duo project with former Cherry Poppin Daddy Tim Donahue and Dream Theater's lead singer James Labrie. Also includes contributions from Mike Mangini (formerly of Extreme and from Labrie's Mullmuzzler side band)."

LaBrie is a very talented dude no doubt. Can't stand his voice.

Wouldn't mind hearing a fretless guitar god though, sounds interesting.

JayKeeley said:
You do have access to Google right? Otherwise, the first hit I found: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6704824&style=music&frm=lk_jkelman

Or, described as...

"A special duo project with former Cherry Poppin Daddy Tim Donahue and Dream Theater's lead singer James Labrie. Also includes contributions from Mike Mangini (formerly of Extreme and from Labrie's Mullmuzzler side band)."
WTF?????

Now this info makes the album even that MUCH MORE amazing. Because I fuckin HATE/LOATHE/DESPISE (take your pick of verb) zoot scootin' swing music like CPD and Stray Cats....

Would never have known.... I thought the dude was some guy from Japan or something that just ripped on the guitar..

Oh and Mangini was also a member of Annihilator.

It's not the breathy thing per se, it's the complete lack of vibrato in his voice. It lacks strength since he sings from the gullet and not the gut. That's why he sounds like he's constantly out of breath. I'm not sure why he can't afford singing lessons by now.

JayKeeley said:
You know who sounds like a better version of James LaBrie by the way? The lead singer for Vanden Plas.
My opinion of LaBrie has run the course from loathing to acceptance. I've always thought he was talented, but his voice drove me away from a band who I'd otherwise love. However, I found "Train of ThoughT" rather enjoyable. I also rather like "The Human Factor", on which LaBrie is prominately featured.

I'm not sure I've ever noticed the similarity between LaBrie and Kuntz, but I've always been a big Vanden Plas fan. They fuckin slayed at PPIV. They are one of the best sounding live bands I've ever heard, and Andy is a superb frontman.

Zod:headbang:

General Zod said:
My opinion of LaBrie has run the course from loathing to acceptance. I've always thought he was talented, but his voice drove me away from a band who I'd otherwise love. However, I found "Train of ThoughT" rather enjoyable. I also rather like "The Human Factor", on which LaBrie is prominately featured.

I'm not sure I've ever noticed the similarity between LaBrie and Kuntz, but I've always been a big Vanden Plas fan. They fuckin slayed at PPIV. They are one of the best sounding live bands I've ever heard, and Andy is a superb frontman.

Zod:headbang:

You're talking about Ayreon's - The Human Equation - right ?? I think LaBrie is okay on there, but I really like his performance on Train Of Thought. For me though Akerfeldt steals that show.

I've had the mp3's from ToT for a very long time, but only recently really started to give it multiple spins. Well, the disc is fantastic. I think this is my 2nd favorite DT disc next to Images And Words. If I had to re-rank my top 5 from 2003 I'd have to put ToT in the top 5. The disc absolutely shreds and in parts reminds me of what Metallica could have been. A couple tunes have a definate Master Of Puppets/ ....And Justice For All feel to them, and I quite dig it.

I don't really hear a lot of similarities between Kuntz and LaBrie either, but that's not the first time I've seen the comparrisons made.

Britt