Magnum - Princess Alice and the Broken Arrow

George

Jun 17, 2004
CT, USA
Magnum - Princess Alice and the Broken Arrow
SPV - 95910 - April 3, 2007
By George Grant

Magnum.jpg

Princess Alice and the Broken Arrow is the thirteenth studio album since British prog-rockers Magnum began in 1978. The majority of this release has been composed by guitarist Tony Clarkin, and with the introduction of drummer Jimmy Copley the band hoped to supply a fresh spin on their music.

However, this record is anything but fresh. Very quickly Magnum falls into a rut. The songs seem to follow a similar structure with little variation. For a band to be considered “progressive” this cannot happen. I was hard pressed to find moments that really stood out in this record. As a whole, this album just flows over you with very little impact.

Magnum’s style of progressive rock is similar to Asia and fellow British prog-rockers Pendragon. There’s a heavy classic rock feel to the music, but symphonic elements are also added into the mix. The opening riff of 'Your Lies' also draws a similarity to Sweden’s Nightingale. One very surprising similarity I found was in Bob Catley’s vocals. At specific points on the album, Catley’s vocals are reminiscent of Bruce Springsteen of all people. An example of this can be found on the track 'Desperate Times.'

The individual performances on the album are solid. However, the weakest member of the band is surprisingly guitarist Tony Clarkin. Considering he was the main composer I expected a stronger performance. Instead, his guitar parts are bland, and his solos are not interesting in the least bit. The best performance was by Mark Stanway on keyboards. Sadly, Stanway gets lost easily in the guitar heavy mix, but the symphonic touches he adds really improves the stagnant music.

In the end, this record is really only for the Magnum die-hards. This rock music follows a very similar formula without offering anything interesting to the table. When compared to the new Rush album released this year, Magnum just seems tired and lacking any innovation.

Official Magnum Website
Official SPV Website

You need to not trust those press sheets so much. Magnum play classic rock, and it actually reminded me of Whitesnake a bit. It's really good by that standard, and was a relaxing listen for me... You can't necessarily get your hopes up on an album because it will say "prog rock" on the press sheet, that could be anything from The Who, to Pain of Salvation, to Porcupine Tree... People aren't too specific with their labels anymore. :(

:oops: Ok the truth is I don't know about "Princess Alice and The Broken Arrow"...
But I love the "Storyteller's night" album....
This album can take me far away....
It has a strange beauty...I find it very romantic...
It brings me peace inside and a sort of nostalgia about past, happy moments...
It's an album tribute to eternal youth...
But that is only an elf-opinion...:err:

All metalheads are elves!!!!
You are an elf too Oinkness and you must be proud!!
And you are from Finland, aren't you?
I want so much to visit your country, I have seen terrific photos...
and I love Sonata Arctica!!

Congrats to Bob Catley on being vocalist #10 for Ayreon. :)

Dio was an Elf, that's it. Nobody else!

Finland is a beautiful country, cold... but beatiful. A lot of posers and homosexuals... it's almost like a mini-America but with more inbred musical geniuses.

Thank You For The Day steps in, more convincing but too little, too late, as by then the apocalyptic vocals, vacuous guitar solos and powerful but rather random drum fills have started to wear very thin indeed.