Major turn off on Damnation: the "strings"

Erich w/ an h

Transenddogma
Dec 13, 2002
www.erichwithanh.com
my biggest gripe is that fake string section that seems to muddy a lot of the songs on the album. Little too cheesey for my taste, honestly. Other than that, after my first few listens, its a pretty good album. Not as impressed as i wanted to be, but i can let it grow :)

Neil-o-Mac said:
Actually, it would be called a Mellotron. Or, to be precise, a Mellotron sample :D
Sample? Are there no Mellotrons left? Youd think someone would have made some more! I vaguely recall something about the Beatles having trouble finding a Mellotron when recording "Strawberry Fields" which would be about 40 years ago(!). Guess they all got extinct since then!
I dont mind the mellotron - it's the lack of fat riffs I dont like so much!!

And is an actual Mellotron a type of keyboard? Would someone be able to post a picture of a mellotron, i've always loved the sound of this instrument, especially on songs like Epitaph by KC. I love it on Damnation too, hope it becomes a staple in subsequent Opeth releases.

and i hope it fucks off.

it suited damnation, but opeth will hopefully stop using it, especially in the 'regular' metal songs, it goes "O.k" with the clean parts... but hey, we're not in the 70's so lets forget about it ok?

Erich w/ an h said:
my biggest gripe is that fake string section that seems to muddy a lot of the songs on the album. Little too cheesey for my taste, honestly. Other than that, after my first few listens, its a pretty good album. Not as impressed as i wanted to be, but i can let it grow :)
rolleyes.gif
dozey.gif
You, lowly n00b, are a moron. That is all.

Reactions: DE
I love the "strings". Especially in Windowpane...when Mikael sings, "there is deep prejudice in me..." overtop the mellotron. I get chills everyime.

Erich w/ an h said:

:OMG: Did you use to post at DMBML or Anyone Seen the Bridge or Ants Marching or somewhere? I was GreyStreetRaven at DMBML and ASTB, btw.