Malmsteen/George Lynch tour

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
Talk about the quietest "guitar gods" pairing...did anyone even know these guys were touring together?

Shit. Ali, did you know? I know you love that fat Swede.

3/10/04 Scottsdale, AZ The Venue
3/11/04 Tucson, AZ The Rialto
3/12/04 San Juan Capistrano, CA Coach House
3/13/04 Bakersfield, CA VINNY's
3/14/04 West Hollywood, CA Key Club
3/16/04 Portland, OR Barbati's Pan
3/17/04 Spokane, WA Gatsby's
3/18/04 Seattle, WA Graceland
3/19/04 Sparks, NV The New Oasis
3/20/04 Salt Lake City, UT Club Expose
3/22/04 Denver, CO Ogden Theatre
3/23/04 La Crosse, WI 324 Live
3/24/04 Chicago, IL Joe's
3/25/04 Flint, MI Purple Moon Night Club
3/26/04 Sauget, IL POP's
3/27/04 Cleveland, OH Peabody's
3/28/04 Poughkeepsie, NY The Chance
3/29/04 Rochester, NY The Penny Arcade
3/30/04 Cheektowaga, NY Rock N' Roll Heaven
3/31/04 Wantagh, NY Mulcahy's
4/1/04 Sayreville, NJ Starland Ballroom
4/2/04 Springfiled, VA JAXX
4/3/04 Baltimore, MD Thunderdome
4/4/04 Clifton Park, NY Northern Lights
4/5/04 Orange, CT Corner Pocket Cafe
4/6/04 Allentown, PA Crocodile Rock Cafe
4/7/04 Huntington, WV Monkey Bar
4/8/04 High Point, NC Hartley's House of Rock
4/9/04 Atlanta, GA The Masquerade
4/10/04 Tampa, FL The Masquerade
4/12/04 Bayon Rouge, LA CLICKS
4/15/04 Scottsdale, AZ STATIC (Inside the Scottsdale civic center)
4/17/04 Anaheim, CA Press Box

Mark - I knew nothing about this. Which one of those locations is nearest to us? Any idea how much tickets might be?

Man, I just bought the G3 DVD with Malmsteen, Satch, and Vai, and I am in guitar god heaven. And now he's touring with Mr frickin' Scary??? That is going to be one helluva show. I guess they're touring as 'guitarists' only, as opposed to bringing their bands? Is this something you would be interested in seeing?

Got an email about this a few weeks ago (don't remember where/who from), probably going to either one of these or one of the Yngwie solo shows, I guess he's doing his own thing for a few extra days in the LA area.

markgugs said:
Sure, I better have a frickin' job by then, so I'm always up for shows, you know that! Not to mention a bootleg recording would be well-sought after...

Here's the info on the "local" show (45 minutes south, give or take):

http://www.starlandballroom.com/events/ - scroll to April 1 - $17!!! That's it!
Sheeyat, that's on a Thursday night. :erk: I mean, I just don't know where I'll be on that day so I wonder if this is something where we could decide on the day? I'm sure it's a tiny little venue. Where is Clifton Park, NY?

I wasn't sure if you'd be into this because it's going to be a lot of widdle-diddle that night, :lol: and I guess you have to *really* be into the guitar to enjoy it - assuming they're doing only instrumentals. There'll be lots of wanking that night - both on stage and in the audience. :loco:

Yeah, a bootleg of both Malmsteen and Lynch would be incredible just because you know they'll take to the stage together at some point in the evening. Some people would step over their mother to see/hear that event, especially if they guest on each others material. o_O

Actually, Starland is the brand new venue in central New Jersey; it's rather large, has a state of the art sound system and put it this way, Queensryche is playing there the night after we see them in NYC. Clifton Park, NY is waaay up north, 'bout a 1/2-hour north of Albany (3 hours from here).

I have no clues about whether or not they're touring with full bands and playing songs, or if it's just the wankery. :)

I did some further digging, here's the setlist from the March 3 show in New Orleans...you'll have to tell me if it's a good one :loco:

Rising Force
Ship of Fools
Rise Up
Stronghold
Guitar Solo - Baroque & Roll
Guitar Solo - Dreaming
In the Name of God
Trilogy Suite Opus : 5
Majestic Blue
Instru-Mental Institution
Guitar Solo
Key Solo
Drum Solo
You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget
Razor Eater
Valhalla
Adajo - Far Beyond The Sun
I'll See The Light Tonight

Dougie White is ex-Rainbow and was pipped to the post to be Iron Maiden's singer by a certain Blaze Bayley

markgugs said:
Ali, this show is apparently not complete wankery, as Yngwie is touring with a full band and singer, some dude named Doogie White?
OK that's interesting. It means this is a tour in support of the latest album, "Attack!!", which actually came out in 2002. It's his worst album unfortunately (you gotta see Papa Josh's review). Doogie White is from the school of Joe Lynn Turner / Graham Bonnet, and as Ayeka pointed out, also sang for Rainbow at some point.

From the setlist, these are the real highlights:

Rising Force
Baroque & Roll
Dreaming
Trilogy Suite Opus 5
You Don't Remember...
Adagio/Far Beyond the Sun
I'll See the Light Tonight

Here's the thing about Yngwie - his hits and misses are worlds apart. The hits are just awesome, and his misses are goddamn torture. It's just a matter of deciding on whether it's worth sifting through the turds to find the gold nuggets. :tickled:

markgugs said:
it's likely the only time I'll ever see Malmsteem live.
Why's that then? I'm sure he's not going anywhere! I bet his next album will be great, and don't forget the ongoing rumours that both he and Ronnie James Dio will soon collaborate on some new songs...

markgugs said:
I just figured is all...I know really nothing about Yngwie. You know who would like to go to this show? Chris (Berghout) if he's not working. He worships Yngwie.
Oh yeah, any guitar player would appreciate it, especially Chris. You should tell him about the show.

Hey - do you want me to make you a CD compilation of Malmsteen?

Sure, that'd be cool. I used to have "Rising Force" on cassette, but that's the only album I've ever heard. Well, actually, I think that's the only one I've ever heard. I just remember the song "I'll See The Light..."

Well, I can start with the seven tracks I highlighted from the current setlist. That'll make this upcoming show a bit more familiar for you. And of course, you do know "I am a Viking", which is from Marching Out. Great, great song, but he doesn't play it much anymore I don't think.