Man Vs Food: Atlanta

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
Just saw some of this episode today. I'm sure it will replay in the future.

Big Pie in the Sky

Adam Richman and a partner attempt to take down the Carnivore, an 11-pound, 30-inch pizza covered in pepperoni, ground beef, Italian sausage, ham and bacon. He and his partner have to finish in under an hour. Four hundred people have tried and none have conquered the Carnivore. The winner gets $250 in house money to spend as they wish at Big Pie in the Sky.
Address: 2090 Baker Road, Kennesaw, GA 30144http://www.bigpieinthesky.com/

Gladys Knight and Ron Winan's Chicken & Waffles

Adam gets a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to head into the kitchen with Gladys Knight and taste some of the soul food she grew up on.
Address: 529 Peachtree Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30308

The Vortex Bar & Grill

There are plenty of unique burgers on the menu at The Vortex and Adam tries a burger so monstrous that it's held together by two grilled cheese sandwiches!
Address: 438 Moreland Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30316

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Man_v_Food/ci.Atlanta.show?vgnextfmt=show

Wow, had no idea that place in Kennesaw existed! That's not more than a mile from my mom's house!

And of course, yay for The Vortex...arguably the best, or second-best burgers in the Atlanta metro!*

-=-=-=-
* behind only the Brick Store, restaurant in downtown Decatur

That pizza is excellent, but the challenge is insane. Four of us took a stab at it, but only managed to get through half of the pie. Fortunately, we weren't attempting the challenge itself. I'd recommend it for anyone that like good pizza, but it's a helluva drive for anyone attending PP.

--Mike

We're checking out the Vortex this year. Been watching the show since it began. Gladys Knight place looks awesome but fried chicken is just about the last thing I should be eating and I know I wouldn't be able to stop myself from ordering that.

First off...love the show. One of the few shows I watch regularly. Haven't missed an episode.

Second....the Vortex is awesome!! I fully intend on going back this year. The closest one is within two miles or so of the venue, definitely walkable!

Kez, we're going to the Vortex at some point during PP weekend--Friday or Saturday, I think. If you want to go with us*, I will let you know when exactly. (I even have a gift card so I have an excuse for going there even while unemployed. :p)

Oh, and Urban has eaten the double bypass burger there, as well as the Elvis burger. We love the damned place.

Shaye

*us = basically the RMAQ crowd; i.e., Britt, Zod & Mrs. Zod, Brent, Bryant, Steve from Philly, etc., etc., so forth and so on.

"So, did you enjoy ProgPower? See any good bands?"
"Bands? Hell, no, we just went for the food...." :lol:

Second....the Vortex is awesome!! I fully intend on going back this year. The closest one is within two miles or so of the venue, definitely walkable!

The closest one is actually much closer than two miles...it's on Peachtree St. (same road as the RI), near 8th. About nine blocks south. Open 'til 2am Mon-Wed, 3am on Thurs-Sat, midnight on Sunday.

http://www.thevortexbarandgrill.com/

Both locations are 18 and up only, because both locations allow smoking. (The TV show might not have mentioned that.)

I've only been to the legendary 'skull-door' location in Little 5 Points, but it's great. :)

EDIT: reading the "rules" and the "idiot-free-zone policy" on their website kinda made me want to stand up and cheer. :lol: :kickass:

Great show. The Travel Channel is one of the best channels there are nowadays.

I would love to try that Chicken and Waffles thing in Atlanta. That looked great.

Now, any fans of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations? That guy is one of my heroes!!!

Last year, we went to the Vortex and they had a burger special that day....basically a greasy burger topped with Country Gravy.
Having gone there on a quest for the Double Bypass (the burger topped with bacon, a fried egg, cheese, etc ...all squashed between two grilled cheese sandwiches), the forementioned friend asked the waiter if they could put country gravy on the Double Bypass burger to make it even more of a heart attack on a plate. The request was granted, along with country gravy topped cheese fries and fried cheesecake for dessert...along with numerous beers in which you need a knife and fork to drink.
Needless to say, it was naptime for this dude after that.
Bleh!

Last year, we went to the Vortex and they had a burger special that day....basically a greasy burger topped with Country Gravy.
Having gone there on a quest for the Double Bypass (the burger topped with bacon, a fried egg, cheese, etc ...all squashed between two grilled cheese sandwiches), the forementioned friend asked the waiter if they could put country gravy on the Double Bypass burger to make it even more of a heart attack on a plate. The request was granted, along with country gravy topped cheese fries and fried cheesecake for dessert...along with numerous beers in which you need a knife and fork to drink.
Bleh!

Does he know about this place?

Aww, poor Pate, never to know the true joy of cheese. :( I'll eat cheese in your honor, how's that? :D

Amber: Ye gads, your friend is crazy. And I love thisiswhyyourefat.com, too. I am mildly ashamed to admit that there are a few things on there I would eat! In fact, there are a few things on there I could probably make with little trouble. Like the bacon wrapped, Mac 'n cheese stuffed meatloaf. Needless to say, I won't be doing that, although it IS tempting. :D

Bleh!

I laid that bitch to rest, yo, but let's be clear... The bacon was deep-fried too!

- R