Mannhai - Hellroad Caravan

Mannhai - Hellroad Caravan
Dockyard 1 - DY100260 - 2006
By Paul Raw Nerve

man.gif

A new name to me, but this is Mannhai's 4th full-lengther and features new vocalist Pasi Koskinen, formerly of one of Finland's biggest names Amorphis.

The upbeat, sleazy stoner rock sounds of 'Shellshock' get the feet shuffling and the head nodding straight away. 'Fuzzmaster' calms it down almost right away and throws in some quality grooves. Many of the obvious names could be thrown around since it is in the heavy stoner genre, all the Orange Goblins, Spirit Caravan, Kyuss, Sabbaths etc., but this sounds more like it could be the logical progression of Minus's career after their direction change from 'Jesus Christ Bobby' to 'Halldór Laxness'.

Infectious stuff here that is so well done it even allows me to get passed the sort of vocals I wouldn't normally be a fan of and get nicely into the whole product. If you add in some of the atmospheres of the more straight forward rocking Hawkwind work and hints of both Monster Magnet and Corrosion of Conformity to the blend, then you have a Mannhai brew that tastes rather fine.

6.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Mannhai Website
Official Dockyard 1 Website