Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Manticora - Darkness with Tales to Tell
Scarlet Records - 2001
By Rodrigo

/images/covers/Manticora.jpg

Oh Baby!! Darkness with Tales to Tell has exceeded all the expectations that I had for the second release by the Danish band Manticora. After being blown away by their first release, Roots of Eternity, I was highly awaiting what Manticora would do to top it. They had gathered plenty of fans with their style of music that can easily describes as a combination of Blind Guardian and Iced Earth but while style maintaining those influential roots, Manticora is clearly a band with their own confident, energetic and exciting style of music. But not only is their music phenomenal but the lyrical themes, many inspired by the horror genius H.P. Lovecraft, are exceptional. With this recipe Manticora, with just two albums under their belt, are clearly THE best young band of the past few years and one to watch out for.

The first immediate and noticeable difference from this album and the last album is the addition of keyboardist Jeppe Eg. But before you start whining that keyboards don’t belong to metal let me say that not only does Manticora not lose any of their crushing intensity but the keyboards add another dimension that has taken their sound to another level. Jeppe’s playing is great and subdued. His keyboards mostly stay in the background but they have many opportunities to become the focal instrument. Take for example "Dragon’s Mist", the longest and the best song from Darkness with Tales to Tell. The intro starts off with the keyboards and then you don’t hear them again until some solos and meanwhile you are yearning to hear them again. But in the meantime the guitar playing of Kristian H. Larsen and Flemming Schultz have plenty of riffing to keep you riveted. Also let’s not forget the excellent work by drummer Mads Volf and bassist Rene S. Nielsen. Just take a listen at the 4:04 minute mark of "Dragon’s Mist" and tell me you do not like what you hear from Mads and the rest of the band. Finally, the unique vocals by Lars F. Larsen tie up everything into a very neat knot. Darkness with Tales to Tell does not let up from beginning to end. From the speedy and powerful songs "The Chance of Dying in a Dream" and "Dynasty of Fear" to the more technical "Critical Mass" (excellent drumming and guitar melody) and "Lost Souls" (more excellent drumming), Darkness with Tales to Tell is filled with something for everyone and shows that Manticora is not afraid to experiment and try new things.

Those of you who enjoyed the songs "Nowhere Land" and "The Flood" from Roots of Eternity, the first two parts of "The Saga of the Exiles", will be happy to note that the excellent songs "Felice" and "The Nightfall War" continue the storyline. "Felice" has excellent melodies and amazing instrumental playing. "The Nightfall War" has an excellent anthem chorus, a great guitar solo from 3:13 to 3:54 and an overall excellent pace that just calls you to head bang along and unmercifully. Manticora also show off their softer and calmer side in the mid-tempo tune "The Puzzle". Lars’s singing is very emotional and the tone of his voice works perfectly in this song. Plus, the piano driven section from 2:52 to 3:36 is simply beautiful. Finally, there is a great melodic and slow guitar solo from 4:07 to 4:33 that is equally stunning. The album ends with two more outstanding songs "The Twilight Shadow" and "Shadows with Tales to Tell". "The Twilight Shadow" has one of the best bass solos I have recently heard and "Shadows with Tales to Tell" is simply engrossing and it ends the album in a resounding fashion.

This is simply a great album and I just can’t wait to hear what Manticora will do next. The only two other albums of 2001 that have excited me this much have been the ones by Opeth and Avantasia and Darkness with Tales to Tell definitely belongs next to them. Right now, I actually think it is better than the The Metal Opera and so far it is the best power metal album of 2001. Anybody who calls themselves a fan of heavy metal MUST own this album (check out our links section for online stores that will carry it). To not own Darkness with Tales to Tell would be a crime. Get it and be prepared to be blown away!