Manticora to record two new albums!

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Danish power metallers MANTICORA will enter Jailhouse studios in Horsens, Denmark on April 7 to begin recording two new full-length albums with producer Tommy Hansen (HELLOWEEN, TNT, PRETTY MAIDS, FATE). More information about the month-long session will be made available soon.

In other news, MANTICORA have announced that they have parted ways with guitarist Stefan Johansson. "Stefan jumped in on guitar right before our European tour with ANGRA/EDENBRIDGE, and he played with us on all our gigs in 2005," the band write on their web site. "We had a lot of fun, and Stefan did a great job. However, we've found out during the writing-stages of the new material, that his writing style just didn't fit to MANTICORA. So, we've decided to ask Martin Arendal once again to rejoin us for the recording of lead guitars on the new album(s). Thanks to Stefan for your time in MANTICORA — we wish you the best of luck!!!!"

MANTICORA's fourth CD, "8 Deadly Sins", is available now on Massacre Records. The follow-up to 2002's "Hyperion" (Scarlet Records) was recorded at Jailhouse and features artwork by Mattias Norén.
---

Now that's some awesome news. I got into these guys after hearing they were announced for PP last year. 8 Deadly Sins was one of the best albums I bought last year and it's always a mainstay in my player. Can't wait to hear some more new stuff from these guys. Plus I want to go back and get their older material.

Nice, a Manticora double-cd. I hope lars changes his vocals around a bit, sometimes he stays in that same tone and it annoys me.. I hope he uses the bass tones like in Cantos!

TheGraveDigger said:
Danish power metallers MANTICORA will enter Jailhouse studios in Horsens, Denmark on April 7 to begin recording two new full-length albums with producer Tommy Hansen (HELLOWEEN, TNT, PRETTY MAIDS, FATE). More information about the month-long session will be made available soon.

:hotjump:Yay!

TheGraveDigger said:
In other news, MANTICORA have announced that they have parted ways with guitarist Stefan Johansson.

:cry: RØVSNAPS!

TheGraveDigger said:
Plus I want to go back and get their older material.

GET HYPERION!!

They'll probably get sick and tired of me constantly saying this, but IMO it's their quintessential CD. That CD would be on the top of my list of CDs to have if stuck on a deserted island. I can't get enough of it. Not to mention the guitar tones on that album are THICK as hell!

The thing about Manticora's older material, is there's a definite shift in sound between Roots of Eternity and Darkness with Tales to Tell, and Hyperion and 8 Deadly Sins.

The two first albums, they had a very raw, very old-school sound. Older-style recording. Feels more raw, more live, more pure. No, they're not the polished, flawless masterpieces. But they have a kind of power that you get with the unpolished sound. The songwriting and riffs were CRAZY, though! Songs like The Flood and The Dragon's Mist and Roots of Eternity were collections of riffs smashed together to destroy your ears. Kinda like how MegadetH used to do it back in the day. They're onslaughts of riffs.

The latest two albums have TONS of production going on. Layers of keyboards, sound effects, background sounds, extra voices... you get the idea. The recording process sounds much more crisp and sharpened. The songwriting isn't as wild and unrestricted, cuz they're more focused and are driven by their albums' concepts. They need to sound more refined and filtered to keep the ideas and themes in order.

You'll get plenty of satisfaction from their older work. It's a guitar player's ear candy. You hear all those great riffs they wrote back in the day, and just NEED to learn how to play along to them! It's like listening to Kill Em All, and then Puppets. Kill Em All had some of the best classic riffs and rawest energy, but Puppets was the trophy that shined the brightest on the shelf.