10. Blessed Unholy
11. Blackcrowned

Label: Regain Records/The End Records
Release date: 2003
Artist site:
http://www.marduk.nu/
GRADE:
8.5/10

Eight studio albums, two live albums, a few eps, a box set and still going, like the Energizer bunny. What I love about MARDUK is that I know what to expect. Now to some, this predictability would be a fault, but I say nay-nay, especially when the material is this good. Like BOLT THROWER or ASPHYX, MARDUK know what their fans want. No experimenting with techno, no keyboards, no folk albums, just pure unadulterated black metal, Panzer style!

Produced by MARDUK and mixed by Peter Tagtgren at the Abyss, World Funeral is more similar to La Grande Danse Macabre or Nightwing than it is to say Panzer Division Marduk. That is, there are more tempo changes and textures than just the all out assault of blasting that MARDUK is sometimes associated with. Vocalist Legion is just as raspy and venomous as ever, while guitarist Morgan Steinmeyer Hakansson turns in one of his best performances in my opinion, every note crystal clear, bleeding from his guitar. Bassist B. War and new drummer Emil Dragutinovic are a very solid rhythm section. In fact, I must make special mention of Dragutinovic as I was very skeptical when longtime drummer Fredrik Andersson vacated the drum stool. I am pleased to say that I put my foot squarely in my mouth, for if it is at all possible, the MARDUK machine is even stronger with their latest addition.

“With Satan and Victorious Weapons” gets the furor started at a frenzied blasting pace, leading one to believe that what they were going to get was the same old thing, but how wrong one would be to assume such. It’s almost as if they feel they have something to prove which, after all of these years you’d think that wouldn’t be the case. Nevertheless, “Bleached Bones” slows things down, Dragutinovic showcasing his control and diversity in approach, something his predecessor did not always have. Even within all of the chaos, MARDUK have always had their share of catchy choruses and World Funeral is no exception, particularly the title track. Can already see it in the set list! The lead off single (is there really such a thing in black metal?) "Hearse" starts off blasting and segues into a really interesting groove, while lyrically tackling the afterlife, definitely a standout cut and a wise choice to introduce the world to the new album.

The absolute best track, however, is next. "Night Of The Long Knives" is MARDUK like I have never heard them before. Razor sharp guitars and bombarding drums pierce the flesh; arms and legs moving faster than a battalion of coalition forces en route to Baghdad. This song is epic, vast in scope; be sure to pay special attention around the two minute, forty-five second mark, when they launch into one of most melodic galloping sections to ever grace my ears, bringing to mind AMON AMARTH, HYPOCRISY and maybe even a little bit of ENSLAVED. Wow! You may recognize "Bloodletting" from the boxset, as it was one of the better songs found there. "Blackcrowned," the title of the boxset and the title of the outro here, is a dirge of sorts, ending World Funeral perfectly.

Onward to battle they march.

PJ