Mariana's Trench cover

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
i just put this together real quick to test out some tones for a clean channel. it isnt the whole song, and there is no bass track.

i like the tone but i feel like theres more i can do to it to make it better, any suggestions?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/marianastrench.mp3

EDIT: re-uploaded the clip, i think the beginning sounds a little clearer, though the drums might be a little more robotic sounding. also added a little rain in the beginning to add a little of my own flavor to it. share opinions, yes?

I think the clean tone you have there is pretty close to the original dude. If I didn't know the song I would say turn any sort of gain/distortion down a bit on the cleans but in this case I think they are fine. Your distorted tone is pretty good too, I was impressed.

I'm sure you know the drums sounded very robotic.

But I think it sounds good dude, with some bass in there it would thicken up nicely.

I think the clean tone you have there is pretty close to the original dude. If I didn't know the song I would say turn any sort of gain/distortion down a bit on the cleans but in this case I think they are fine. Your distorted tone is pretty good too, I was impressed.

I'm sure you know the drums sounded very robotic.

But I think it sounds good dude, with some bass in there it would thicken up nicely.

thanks, and yea, i was trying to go for that tone with a light distortion, not totally clean (because my personal taste says that too much "clean" isnt enough.)

and as far as the drums, i just need to learn more about velocities and how to adjust them. after that, and a bass track, i agree that it will come out nicely.

clean channel, oddly enough, is just "class A" channel on the line 6 floor pod thru the line in haha, and distortion is LeGion and LeCab played on a Jackson with strings that i really need to replace. im waiting to get a usb interface so i can use podfarm, so im sure that wil make a difference. ill upload the DIs here in a minute

edit: i just remembered that i didnt save the project after i rendered it to mp3 :X once i get some new strings and that interface, i may give it a second go around to really get a nice clear tone.

well apparently everyone thinks i recorded this in order to copy the sound of the original song and see how close i could come in comparison to it, when in fact i that isnt the case. i just wanted to test out clean tones and i liked the riffs in this song so i figured i would give it a go. so please, inform me on how i can make my sound better, not how i fail to "copy" ABR's tone.

yah man the guitar tone is very nasally, sounds like you're using a pod xt or pod farm? try giving it more mids, guitars are degined to handle midrange frequencies, if you incorporate more of those frequencies in your raw tone before EQing in your DAW, you'll find it much easier to mix the guitars and have them stand out in the mix! and they wont sound all trebly and digital, hopefully! haha

yah man the guitar tone is very nasally, sounds like you're using a pod xt or pod farm? try giving it more mids, guitars are degined to handle midrange frequencies, if you incorporate more of those frequencies in your raw tone before EQing in your DAW, you'll find it much easier to mix the guitars and have them stand out in the mix! and they wont sound all trebly and digital, hopefully! haha

for this, im bypassing the floor pod into a SoloC sim which is pumping lots of mids. i dont really know what i can do to the raw tone seeing as how i cant adjust eq for a bypassed tone on a floor pod. keep in mind im not using a usb interface, just the line-in.