Mark Coatsworth's Acrtic Photo Exhibit (w/beers) last night in Toronto!

David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
intro_mark_new.jpg

intro_decembershow.jpg

I attended our good friend Mark Coatsworth's Arctic Photo exhibit tonight at the "Cést What?" microbrew pub in the distillery district of downton Toronto (my old hood, near the old Woods jamspace). What a good night! For those who don't already know, Mark Coatsworth (mark coatsworth) is a Toronto area photographer, and WoY band photographer, who travelled accross the arctic this past summer for 3 months listening to old Immortal and outlaw country music, while drinking whisky and taking photos (from what I understood) of everything from epic mountains of ice to vast empty fields of pure nothingness...and also reindeers. Tonight, he had huge prints of about 18 of the best photos from these adventures on display for show and purchase. The place was packed with supporters of his, eating, drinking, enjoying his work and reading the captions. "Cést What?" is probably my favourite place for pints in the world (from what I've seen and learned so far)! What a good choice Mark!

Also, among the other local celebreties (that I didn't recognize), I met with Sam Dunn and Paul of the band BURN TO BLACK(www.myspace.com/burntoblack) and Michael and the gang from the band ENDORPHINS (www.myspace.com/endorphins1, both Toronto bands of whom have brand new thrash releases on Adrian Bromley (Unrestrained Magazine)'s URGENT RECORDS label (www.myspace.com/urgentmusicrecords ). For fans of heavy thrash, go check out those myspaces and comment in this thread with feedback, please!

Maaaaaaaaaaybe, good ole Mark Coats himself will post some photos and comments about the night when he sees this thread :)

btw - Mark, I have a fridge full of beers. La Fin du Monde!!! :cool:

I saw Endorphins open for Cryptopsy in October. they were ok I guess, but nothing special. Still 100000 X better than the first opening band, 3 Mile Scream: worst live performance Ive ever seen.

but anyways, this Coatsworth guy has really cool pictures. I saw his site a little while ago and its quite epic

Thanks for mention and links to those bands, David. I'm a Thrash maniac and I think I'm definitely going to be picking-up these guys' albums when I make my massive purchase in the next few weeks from The End (I estimate I may be buying 10+ albums. But it may end-up being like 20, but I don't know if I have $200 to spend on albums D: but the end is running a little deal right now. Not much but 6.66% off)

Dave, thanks for the thread!

Yeah, it was a really fun night! I spent over a year working on this show (between funding the expedition, carrying it out, then putting the exhibit together) so it was great to have a big drunken Wednesday to celebrate. The turnout was wicked! So many people I haven't seen in forever! There was even a beautiful girl in attendance who I had a crush on in grade 11, and hadn't seen in eight years, and I didn't even get a chance to go hit on her!

It was really fun watching people recognize Sam Dunn. At one point, a couple of girls came up to me and "oh my god!!! it's the guy from the metal movie!!!"... they were too starstruck to even go talk to him! Excellent!

Thanks again for coming down. I'm thinking it's almost time to do a metal photo exhibit. Almost.