Marshall JMP-1

The Rhone

Nov 8, 2006
Bromley, Kent
Has anyone had any working knowledge of this pre amp. Thinking of using it in my studio in my search to find something other than a POD XT. It appears to be a valve pre amp and a number of top guns seem to use it. But how does it compare to todays gear coz it's been around as it where.

Let me know your thoughts

What do you have against the POD Pro XT?

Andy has one.....

I saw one in the studio with Bob Rock and Metallica......

Seems to be way more versatile than a JMP, ADA or Triaxis for a studio.

Not to mention so many people make them sound great.

Blah blah blah.

Don't some of the Top Guns only use the JMP live?

What do you have against the POD Pro XT?

Andy has one.....

I saw one in the studio with Bob Rock and Metallica......

Seems to be way more versatile than a JMP, ADA or Triaxis for a studio.

Not to mention so many people make them sound great.

Blah blah blah.

Don't some of the Top Guns only use the JMP live?

Used to have one didn't get on with it, tryed programming it and tweaking and more tweaking and haveing programmed varius processors over many years, was still unable to get a tone I liked out of it.

However I have heard the Metal Pack makes a big difference and that the updates that have come through since I last had one have made big improvements, so I will try one again, or even the X3??????

depends what you want to use it for- i'd think the POD would be ok for demos or layered guitars in a final mix. For a main guitar sound, mic up a valve amp. If you do go the jmp-1 route, you really need to use a valve power amp and a decent (preferably parametric) rack eq to get the most out of it. I actually prefer it to my triaxis for lead tones but it does need the other gear around it.

well, you know that the jmp-1 is tube preamp designed to be used with a tube poweramp into a guitar cab of some sort, just like you would run a head, as opposed to the pod-xt which is more like a standalone direct recording unit. sure, you can also run the pod-xt through a poweramp and cab and mic that one, and probably get pretty good results, but by nature it's more of a direct recording unit. the jmp1 is NOT.

having that said, i think the jmp1 sounds pretty good. quite versatile for a marshall unit, decent cleans, can get very heavy if dialed right, also delivers the famous vintage marshall crunch...sorta like 50 marshall heads in a box, similar to the triaxis.
although i wonder if you couldn't get better results by using a marshall jcm800 if you want "the marshall sound"....you could still track clean stuff with the pod xt. after all, it's a studio situation and not live where it's better to have everything you need in one amp/rack.

Had one for a while and was never completely impressed with it. As said above, it would have one good sound, and that's about it (just with my experience). I sold it, got the ADA MP-1, and never looked back.

Isn't the JMP-1 not entirely all-tube? I remember reading that it has some solid-state stuff in its circuit and the tubes provide the "warmth"

I don't have a lot of experience with the JMP-1 but what time I did spend with it I spent trying to see how diverse a range of tones it could net and it seemed pretty limited. It had a few great Marshall tones to it, even some high-gain but not much else. The Triaxis with a good set of JJ or other non-Mesa tubes is a lot more versatile and I think it has a lot more gain. However, it's more expensive. I've never had the fortune of playing with a ADA MP-1 with the 3 Tube Mod but back in the day I played with a stock MP-1 for a few weeks and it was just too noisy and tonally limited. On the other hand, I've heard the modded MP-1's are very, very nice. I've heard clips of the MP-1 3TM doing high gain and I thought it was amazing. As for cleans, no idea. I know one of the main mods available for it reduce noise a lot.

Just my 14 cents... take it or leave it. Just don't bring back change in Canadian currency.

The JMP-1 recorded without a power amp, has no real bottom.
Sound with power amp is great, though.