MARTY FRIEDMAN: 'I Would Love To Have One Hit Song And Play That Song Forever'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In a recent interview with Australia's Heavy magazine, guitarist Marty Friedman spoke about what he has taken from being in bands such as CACOPHONY and MEGADETH, all the way to his current solo career, which finds him playing challenging, unconventional instrumental metal. Since his 1999 departure from MEGADETH, Friedman moved to Japan, where he established himself as a TV personality in addition to being a prolific solo artist. "You take stuff away from everything that you do, even if it's non-musical," he said (hear audio below). "It's a constant evolution and you have to adjust your playing to every situation that you get into to make the whole project work and each situation presents its own challenges. When you've finished that, the next situation becomes easier, but then there's new challenges. Even every album that you do has got to be something that you didn't do on the previous album or anything like that." He continued: "That's one thing that is a big thing for me is I've released 14 solo albums and each one has evolved from the previous one. Well, of course, they're similar because I'm the one making them — they have to be with motifs and themes and melodies and playing that I've never done before. I don't want to repeat myself. With each thing that's finished, you kind of have to put aside and start from zero again, having learned from what you did before. That's why I can keep this stuff fresh for so long. It's a terrible pain in the ass kind of challenge. I would love to have one hit song and play that song forever; it would be really easy. I guess I was doomed to have to do something completely new every single time." Friedman's 14th solo record, "One Bad M.F. Live!!", was released last October. The album was recorded in Mexico City on April 14, 2018, during the final concert of Friedman's world tour in support of his 2017 album "Wall Of Sound", which debuted on Billboard's Heatseekers chart at No. 12. Joining Friedman on "One Bad M.F. Live!!" are his bandmates Kiyoshi on bass, Jordan Ziff (RATT) on guitar and Chargeeee on drums.

Continue reading...