Marty Friedman's "Loudspeaker" album

Mr.Skull

Mar 16, 2010
I've been listening to some of Megadeth's back catalog and rediscovering Marty's phenomenal playing. This is old news to most of you. But I wanted to check out a solo album of his because I couldn't get enough of his stuff. So a friend of mine recommended I check out his 2006 solo release Loudspeaker.

(btw, I did do a search for a thread on this album in the Sneap section and found nothing, so I'm sorry if there was indeed one already)

My God. The music is fantastic (minus some of the Japanese vocal stuff) and the guest solos from Vai and Petrucci are nice additions. But the production has really blown me away. The drums, esp. snare, seem heavily sample-replaced, but work nonetheless. The lead and rhythm tones are killer all over this album. Was he using the Engl SE on this album? Can anyone give me or redirect me to information on specifics of how any of this recording was achieved? Especially regarding the guitar tone, Marty's fingers aside. :D

I think at that time Marty was still using a Crate Blue Voodoo BV150H head. He said he doesn't worry about his tone when recording and that he lets the engineer take care of that.

That's right. I forgot about his stint with Crate. Thanks guys.

Checking out that DVD is next on my list. :kickass: