Mason Bates

OK, time's up. Let me tell you about Mason Bates.

This fucking guy. Honestly it boils my blood thinking about it.

To be honest, Mason Bates is a decent musician. Mason Bates has a good ear and is a bit of a pioneer of new sounds. Mason Bates has brought new instruments to the symphony, even the sound of particle colliders. Mason Bates has a lot of diversity in his musical palate (sp?). Mason Bates is like a painter who can paint ultraviolet and infrared colors, only he does it with sound. Mason Bates can do what Van Gogh, Rembrant, Monet, and the others could not -- create art with electronic technology.

Seemingly, Mason Bates can do anything with sound.

However. (I never say "however" as a complete sentence, but I am going to do so here, because I can).

However, just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

But the Chicago Symphony Orchestra went with it and did it anyway. A few nights ago, I saw Mason Bates' Alternative Engergy composition, a suite of 4 movements. What a fucking crock of shit. I mean are you kidding me? I was appalled.

I could go on for several pages about how disappointed I was with Alternative Energy. However. I'm going to leave it at that.

Look, I don't mean to knock Mason Bates. He's clearly talented. And I won't deny that I'm jealous of the opportunities he has that I could only long for. But it's pretty fucking clear to me that his parents must have some real juice. I mean, he's got to know someone real powerful to get his music this kind of exposure. Maybe he's mafia or something.

But how can you fault me for being angry? Let me give you an example.

At one point in the suite, while the symphony is playing, Mason Bates has a bass drum playing 8th notes, house style. Now I don't have a problem with a little diversity at the symphony. Blending house music with a symphony sounds like it might be kinda fun, right? It's not going to hurt for a minute or two. Just some ear candy.

Now, let's get some context. Let's remember that this concert is at Davies Symphony Hall, which has great acoustics and has won 12 Grammy Awards (yes 12 Grammys, look it up). The engineers at Davies are perfectly capable of getting music to sound good at Davies. Then please tell me why the FUCK Mason Bates chose for the bass drum to be a sample blaring through speakers? There is a perfectly good, 5 foot tall bass drum standing literally 6 feet away from Mason Bates. Instead of micing the bass drum and playing it by hand, utilizing those amazing acoustics at Davies, I was treated to a sample.

A fucking kick sample. There are 5 expert percussionists standing right there, not to mention a top of the line bass drum, and some top notch engineers, and I pay to watch Mason Bates tap the pad on his laptop so I can hear a fucking kick sample? What the FUCK, man?!

So I'm still reeling about this, 3 days later. And I haven't even got to the music. Mason Bates' music wasn't even average. It was below average. It was shit I'd expect to hear in a Taiwanese elevator (no offense, pardon my ignorance).

What an atrocity. Dimmu and the others are way, way ahead of Mason Bates on this. You can call Norwegian Black Metal "cheesey" but at least it has merit.

There are many guys on this board that can write better music than Mason Bates. Unfortunately, they do not have the connections that Mason Bates does. So they don't get featured by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in San Francisco.

However.

This fucken Mason Bates shit was just icing on the cake as far as the music industry goes. You know, I go to the symphony for its purity, but apparently that shit is getting flushed down the toilet now too.

I'm sorry, I can't go on anymore. I am too disgusted. But there is one last thing to say, and it is the worst part. However. I must say it:

Mason Bates got a 5 minute standing ovation for Alternative Energy.

This is why I am the Genius Gone Insane.

After seeing that video I totally agree with you. He suck because he definitely should have used Slate or LSD kick sample :) AND those flutes need to be reamped through 5150, then it'll be tits.

Mason Bates * 20

Is Mason Bates this Mason Bates post Mason Bates an Mason Bates attempt Mason Bates to Mason Bates make Mason Bates this Mason Bates thread Mason Bates come Mason Bates up Mason Bates at Mason Bates the Mason Bates top Mason Bates in Mason Bates Google Mason Bates search Mason Bates results Mason Bates for Mason Bates that Mason Bates phrase ? :D

Is Mason Bates this Mason Bates post Mason Bates an Mason Bates attempt Mason Bates to Mason Bates make Mason Bates this Mason Bates thread Mason Bates come Mason Bates up Mason Bates at Mason Bates the Mason Bates top Mason Bates in Mason Bates Google Mason Bates search Mason Bates results Mason Bates for Mason Bates that Mason Bates phrase ? :D

No, not intentionally.

That shit in the video is awful, well the symphony element is great, fine, but the shit he is doing is fucking stupid.