Mastering question!

ESPJL5150

Dec 18, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.myspace.com
I'm about to send off my songs for mastering and i don't want to send my mixes to the studio to hot! On this picture can somebody draw a line on the four meters to show the highest the levels should go on each meter! I know this is a crazy request but i definitley need some help or if there is another picture somewhere can someone post one!

master.jpg

Thanks

Eh, I've heard that might truncate bits or some digital audio theory nonsense - just click on the left-most track in the mix window, then shift click on the right-most track (to highlight them all) and when you bring down a fader all the highlighted ones come down! (at least I think so, if not hold Ctrl and then they will)

Instead of turning down all the faders can i drag the master fader down until it hits about -6db on the middle meters then render it?
Yes

Eh, I've heard that might truncate bits or some digital audio theory nonsense - just click on the left-most track in the mix window, then shift click on the right-most track (to highlight them all) and when you bring down a fader all the highlighted ones come down! (at least I think so, if not hold Ctrl and then they will)

"digital audio theory NONSENSE," indeed. ;)

Turning down a bus fader, including the master, is the same as turning down the individual tracks routed to that bus/master

I rather drop the master fader because I like to use automation and group/aux tracks. Cubase has 2 post fader slots, but all the plugins atleast in pro tools are pre fader (if you know how to change this, please enlighten me), so if you drop the master fader, you just get less volume, nothing else.

If all your faders are POST plugins you can simple drop down the master fader.
But when you faders are PRE (before the insert plugins) better drop down all faders.

Post-fader are better in my opinion because I´m not in the temptation to just drop the fader to avoid clipping while tracking. I have to turn down the mic-pre to get my headroom:)

I usualy try to track everything with minum 10dB headroom on the master-fader.
And I try to dont tough the faders at all (while mixing) only for automation, and not to avoid red red-area...

NOT. Your plugins work diferent with higher levels (for example the emulations of analog gear) so I would turn down all faders and dont tough the master fader.
Huh? Obviously, you need to get the sound the way you want it, so you have to set the input to the plugin at the volume that you desire. In most DAWs, if not all, pulling down the fader will not affect the plugins sound, as faders are post-effects bin. I suspect that PT can be a bit "convoluted' in this aspect.

Can you give an example of what you're saying?
If all your faders are POST plugins you can simple drop down the master fader.
But when you faders are PRE (before the insert plugins) better drop down all faders.

Post-fader are better in my opinion because I´m not in the temptation to just drop the fader to avoid clipping while tracking. I have to turn down the mic-pre to get my headroom:)

I usualy try to track everything with minum 10dB headroom on the master-fader.
And I try to dont tough the faders at all (while mixing) only for automation, and not to avoid red red-area...
Lowering faders has nothing to do with the actual recording process. Make sur eyou don't clip your preamp when you track (unless that's what you want, of course). This fact is unrelated to turning down the Master fader, or track fader even.

thats why I wrote, Post-Faders are fine;)
For example the waves ssl stuff was designed to get the ssl sound.
So they also included the "sound" when the ssl is driven too hot.
Same for the vintage, and api stuff.

I tried it, it realy worked...

Also you have a too hot main-master, because your different tracks are too hot.
If you have post-faders you can just lower the main volume, but if you work with pre-faders, you better lower the different volume faders...
Normal plugins are not programmed to get clipped they sound shitty...

Example for pre-faders:
Extrem drumediting with trigger software:
You want some dynamic back, so you choose pre-faders and write an automation. Drumagog takes now more random samples...

cheers