Masters Of Rock II - Maiden Scotland and Hells Bells

Masters Of Rock II - Maiden Scotland and Hells Bells
Perth Concert Hall, 25th November 2006

I'd been looking forward to this show SO much! I hadn't been to a concert since Axl & Friends in July so was itching to get to another gig and I wasn't
disappointed. Me and my friend's had been Christmas shopping all day and by 5pm I was getting agitated cos I was bored and wanted to be at the show. We went and had a drink at the venue and I was getting more and more restless. So finally I get them away from the bar and next to the door and we stood and chatted to the security guard and we were talking about going to see the real Iron Maiden in Glasgow in December. After about 20mins we get in and I make sure I get dead centre. It was about half an hour before the band came on but it felt like forever. I'd seen the setlist taped to the floor so went and had a nosey so I knew what was being played. Finally the lights went down and the intro to Rock In Rio starts playing - I was getting so excited at this point that I think I was scaring my friends! After that finished, "Adrian" ran out and kicked off with The Wicker Man. They played it brilliantly!!! I'd been posting on their MySpace and "Adrian" came over and pointed at me with a big smile on his face cos he'd recognised me! They blasted through Two Minutes To Midnight, Wrathchild and Can I Play With Madness, which I was wanting to hear so much!! During The Trooper, instead of a Union Jack they waved a Saltire which made my heart swell with pride!! They did a storming rendition of Different World which was great to hear and it sounded absolutely dead on. I was really wanting to hear The Prisoner and I roared every word. I was so happy to see that on the setlist. All the classics were there and they played them so well!! "Steve" is one hell of a bass player - holy shit his fingers are fast!!! "Bruce" forgot the first line of the second verse in Number Of The Beast but he was their new singer so he can be forgiven! Hehe!! I caught the drummer's stick that he'd tossed out and "Adrian" came over to me and said, "Jenna,right?" cos of the MySpace thing. I thought it was cool he'd remembered my name, He shook my hand and then had to go pack his stuff up but once he'd finished he came over and gave me a setlist and we had a little chat. This wee 10 year old boy was next to me and he was telling him how good a player he was so he gave him a plectrum which made his night by the looks of things!! After they went away, this wee boy was chatting to me for ages and he was so cool!!!

Next up was Hells Bells. I'd seen them before and I knew they were very good. I'm not the biggest AC/DC fan in the world but I do like them. When they came on, I was disappointed that it wasn't the same "Angus" I'd seen last time. This new one was very good tho, plus he'd only just turned 17 they said so that impressed me even more!!! During The Jack, I got so pissed off with these guys behind us. My friend had moved away from the front cos she was getting a bit crushed but she said to me just to stay. These guys were trying to force their way into the barrier and I HATE people that do that!! I could see the point of doing it if it was the real thing, but at the end of the day it is only a tribute band!! These big guys had been crushing the wee boy I'd been talking to and for what?? They could easily see over his head but oh no they had to be at the very front. Fucks me right off when big bastards like that use their size to try and crush smaller people so they'll move. I was chuffed cos I got to sing a bit of Touch Too Much. "Bon/Brian" was putting the mic into the crowd and letting them sing a bit of the chorus and I got to do it!! Anyways, they played (from what I recognised and remembered) Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be, Shoot To Thrill, Rock N' Roll Damnation, Back In Black, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, TNT, The Jack, Bad Boy Boogie, Thunderstruck, Highway To Hell, You Shook Me All Night Long, Touch Too Much, Sin City, Let There Be Rock, High Voltage, For Those About To Rock (which I can't stand, it's SO boring!) and Whole Lotta Rosie which the crowd went properly nuts at! Was so glad to hear Thunderstruck cos I love that song!! I find it funny that even tho they're called Hells Bells, I've never seen them play that one yet. Maybe next time tho eh??

Photos (video to follow!!)

Setlist, drumstick and wristband
MaidenScotlandSetlist.jpg

MaidenScotland.jpg

MaidenScotland2.jpg

MaidenScotland3.jpg

"Dave" looks like Rick Allen don't you think?? :lol:
MaidenScotland4.jpg

MaidenScotland5.jpg

MaidenScotland6.jpg

MaidenScotland7.jpg

MaidenScotland9.jpg

MaidenScotland11.jpg

MaidenScotland12.jpg

MaidenScotland13.jpg

And a special photo just for Jim!! :lol:
JimsPhoto.jpg

Guy on bass needs to do his homework, Cliff Williams is strictly a Stingray player. Luckily the bass isn't prominent in AC/DC but a P isn't gonna sound like a Ray.

Looks like a big venue. Glad you had fun J.

Jim the geek. :loco:

Guy on bass needs to do his homework, Cliff Williams is strictly a Stingray player. Luckily the bass isn't prominent in AC/DC but a P isn't gonna sound like a Ray.

Looks like a big venue. Glad you had fun J.

Jim the geek. :loco:

It sounded fine to me!! :lol:

It's not really but talking to the security guard, it apparently holds 1,600!! I really didn't think it would hold that much!

Is the sound "staticy" in the original clips? A lot of popping noise that is akin to static when I play them.

Pretty good other wise.

The singer has a songbook to read from up there.
smilie_auslachen.gif

Jim

Glad you had a kick ass time Jenna. Sorry I have not been here recently but finally I have joined a metal band so I have been very busy writing and rehearsing. I am going to see the real thing on Saturday in Milan I simply cannot wait.

There is the very slim chance I will even get to meet them, but since it's Italy (bad organising), I am not holding my breath for anything. The show will be awesome in it's own right I am really looking forward to it. :kickass:

Is the sound "staticy" in the original clips? A lot of popping noise that is akin to static when I play them.

Pretty good other wise.

The singer has a songbook to read from up there.
smilie_auslachen.gif

Jim

I dunno if it's just the mic being funny cos it was so loud. I had my earplugs in and still felt a slight deafness when I took them out.

Yeah, he's only been in the band for a month or something but he only fucked up once!! :lol:

Thanks Matt!! Great to hear you have a band now, nice one!! Hope you get to meet them as well!! :headbang:

My other vids here which hadn't loaded when I posted the others.

Wrathchild - YouTube - Maiden Scotland - Wrathchild

Thunderstruck - YouTube - Hells Bells - Thunderstruck

Bad Boy Boogie - YouTube - Hells Bells - Bad Boy Boogie

Whole Lotta Rosie - YouTube - Hells Bells - Whole Lotta Rosie

Yeah, he's only been in the band for a month or something but he only fucked up once!! :lol:

Thanks Matt!! Great to hear you have a band now, nice one!! Hope you get to meet them as well!! :headbang:
Thasalotta lyrics to learn in a month! o_O
The band did a great job, too. I've noticed that for some songs if you aren't in the exact right place on stage to hear the part that cues in the vocal, look out! :zombie:
But you don't feel so bad about a clam after hearing live versions when Bruce make the same mistake in the same place! At least ya know you're in good company!!! :lol:

:
But you don't feel so bad about a clam after hearing live versions when Bruce make the same mistake in the same place! At least ya know you're in good company!!! :lol:

I stopped caring about the whole perfection idea when seeing bands play live after seeing Rush about 15 years ago. Whoa and behold but Geddy Lee was making timing mistakes with getting the singing in the right place with his bass parts. I noticed because at that time I was obsessed with Rush. The casual listener probably didn't catch it. Yup....Geddy Lee is human after all. .... That was nice to know.

I stopped caring about the whole perfection idea when seeing bands play live after seeing Rush about 15 years ago. Whoa and behold but Geddy Lee was making timing mistakes with getting the singing in the right place with his bass parts. I noticed because at that time I was obsessed with Rush. The casual listener probably didn't catch it. Yup....Geddy Lee is human after all. .... That was nice to know.

I LOVE Rush! They are an incredible group of musicians!

I must admit however that most of their music after Moving Pictures doesnt do anything for me. Has anyone heard that Rush tribute band out of Texas? I think they are called Anthem? Those guys rock!!!

Ok I found their myspace page:
www.myspace.com/anthem2112

:kickass:

Thasalotta lyrics to learn in a month! o_O
The band did a great job, too. I've noticed that for some songs if you aren't in the exact right place on stage to hear the part that cues in the vocal, look out! :zombie:

Yeah, I've heard some corkers from Bruce - like in Stranger In A Strange Land he goes to sing the chorus again when it's actually the middle eight and in Brave New World he always sings, "Dragon kings, dying queens, makes no sense of it all..." instead of, "Dragon kings, dying queens, where is salvation now..." for some reason.

I LOVE Rush! They are an incredible group of musicians!

I must admit however that most of their music after Moving Pictures doesnt do anything for me. Has anyone heard that Rush tribute band out of Texas? I think they are called Anthem? Those guys rock!!!

Ok I found their myspace page:
www.myspace.com/anthem2112

:kickass:

I've heard of the Rush Tribute called Jacob's ladder, the guitar player is incredible technical and musical knowledge, he play’s much more these days.

When I saw them during the Ultimate Rush tour they were like robots, perfect... Getty singing, playing keyboard, bass and double neck and foot pedals, and overlay racks, it was amazing.