MAX CAVALERA Says CAVALERA CONSPIRACY Has More Of SEPULTURA 'Spirit' Than SEPULTURA'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Andrew Epstein of Zombitrol.com recently conducted an interview with Max Cavalera (SOULFLY, SEPULTURA, CAVALERA CONSPIRACY). You can now listen to the chat using the SoundCloud widget below. Speaking about the differences in playing SEPULTURA songs with CAVALERA CONSPIRACY and SOULFLY, Max said: "With Igor [Cavalera, CAVALERA CONSPIRACY drummer], they're closer to the original, so it's more fun. On the last [CAVALERA CONSPIRACY] tour, we played a lot of obscure stuff, like 'We Who Are Not As Others' and we were playing 'Desperate Cry', and we even talked about — we didn't get to do it — but we wanted to dig up 'Necromancer'. And we were even messing around with stuff like 'From The Past Comes The Storm'. We didn't get to do it, but I think in the future we will do it, because I think CAVALERA is the closest thing to SEPULTURA that we're ever gonne come… It's me and Igor, the originators of SEPULTURA, and him on the drums and me on the vocals is pretty close to the original thing."Asked if he thinks CAVALERA CONSPIRACY is closer in style and attitude to the original SEPULTURA approach than the current SEPULTURA lineup is, Max said: "I think even sonically, what we do is more close to that. The CAVALERA records stay more true to the essence of what the path that we were following in SEPULTURA at that time. But, you know, I can't really comment or care much about what [the SEPULTURA guys] are doing [now]. It doesn't concern me. They're still doing their thing and I'm doing my thing; it's like two different worlds. Life goes on. The only thing that I think is a bit…I don't know… It's weird that there's no original members in that band. Me and Igor left, and nobody that is there was there from the beginning, so that's a bit weird. But it is what it is. I'm happy with where I am. I love SOULFLY and I love KILLER BE KILLED, and I love playing with Igor. The CAVALERA stuff is killer…"He added: "I don't think it's the same [with what SEPULTURA has become]. And I think the spirit… Me and Igor have more of the SEPULTURA spirit together in CAVALERA more than SEPULTURA itself."In 1996, Max exited SEPULTURA after the rest of the band fired Cavalera's wife Gloria as their manager.Max's brother Igor left SEPULTURA in June 2006 due to "artistic differences." Igor's departure from the band came five months after he announced that he was taking a break from SEPULTURA's touring activities to spend time with his second wife and their new son (who was born in January 2006).SOULFLY's tenth studio album, "Archangel", was released on August 14 via Nuclear Blast Entertainment. The CD was produced by Matt Hyde, who has previously worked with SLAYER and CHILDREN OF BODOM. The cover artwork was created by artist Eliran Kantor (TESTAMENT, ICED EARTH, SODOM).

More...